trying to get everything together.

jfannin

Reefing newb
setup 40g DT and 20g sump/refung
ok i almost have my stand done so im trying to be sure that i have selected the proper equipment for my tank. my list as fallows: lighting not listed.

https://www.drsfostersmith.com/checkout/modify_cart.cfm

one of the main things that im wondering is about the return pump. i would like a pump that has some kind of auto shut off or anti over heat and that is self priming (just in case the power goes out and comes back on ect...) or am i over thinking the pump?

Umm as far as I know, all pumps are self priming. When the electricity comes back on, so does the pump. As for auto shut off, I don't think pumps that have that feature exist.

Well shoot. I'll have to fix the link as soon as I get off of work. I didn't check the link after I posted it. I'll try to post each item one by one while I'm at work if I get time.

Please fill free to inlighten me on the items that have listed. Like I posted before, this is my first tank ever. So if You fill that I would be much better off with another product that differs from my list fill please tell me. Or if I'm forgeting somthing major.

I haven't heard much about Marineland skimmers, but Octopus skimmers are great (I use one).

Quiet One pumps are very popular, as are the Eschopps overflow boxes, so I think you picked well as far as those go.

I don't know about the Eschopps, but if you buy a CPR overflow box, you have the option of connecting it to an Aqualifter pump (it costs $12 or $15) that will automatically restart the siphon in a power outage.

humm i like that. when the power goes out it will not drain my DT (over flowing the sump), but also when the power comes back on it will self prime/restart the siphon and not over flow the DT. "like the power never went out at all". this to me would only seam logical. so why would anyone ever use the other kind? is their something im missing? as for the other kind im meaning the Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes

Last edited:
Hey, I looked through some of the stuff on your list and on that quiet one pump...here is what it said at the bottom in italics..."These pumps are not self priming." Since you had mentioned that I thought I would toss in what i saw :D :bowdown::bounce:

Last edited:
ok i just found this while looking at lighting stuff.
http://shop.aquatraders.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=54241

any good? i was thinking that running 2 on my 40g, might be better then this 36" Aquarium Metal Halide Lighting: AquaticLife HID/T-5 Fixture with Lunar Lights its a major price diff. just to note that this 36" setup only has 1 metal halide light in it and its in the middle of the lighting setup. so im kinda wondering if it would be kinda non effective other then in the middle of the reef or would it light the hole tank good enough to grow anything?
know my original plan was to go with the 36" Aquarium Lighting T5 Fluorescent Light Fixture: AquaticLife T5 HO and Lunar Light Fixtures
the funny thing is know that its getting down to the actual ordering of my stuff, im getting cold feet. im just not wanting to cut myself short, and not sure if i would be happy with OK lighting. such as a setup without metal halide.

this their lighting out their that you all would recommended over any of the ones ive posted, or have i posted the one you would recommend? it sure would be a great help, because it's alot of money and i wont to spend it wisely.

Back