Trying to get started - have a question

becky2312

Reefing newb
I've decided I want to try to get a saltwater tank up and going and have been trying to research everything. Want to get about a 55 gallon, and had planned on probably using live sand and live rock to start out and get everything cycled. I ran across an ad for a 55 gallon tank with stand already set up (for 4 or 5 years), for $250.00. Talked to the guy last night. He said he had crushed coral for the base. Is that okay to use? Could you add some sand on top of it? He has some live rock (not sure how much, but he said he spent $200 or $300.00 on the rock). He said he has two fish - a "nemo" fish and I can't remember what else - some kind of damsel maybe - No coral or mushrooms - Maybe a blue crab, but he hasn't seen it in a while - Some kind of Coralife lights that he said he paid $299 for - and then some kind of carbon filter. He didn't mention any powerheads or protein skimmers, so I don't know about that (had to cut the phone call short). I told him I might try to come and look at it this weekend. Do you think it might be worth buying, or should I just start from scratch? And the big question - how the heck do you move 55 gallons of saltwater (and all the stuff that goes with it)?!?!?!?!?

I would not use the crushed coral. Do you know how many lbs of live rock? The lights are probably compact fluorescent and are only good for low light soft coral.
That being said, you have to decide if the price is worth it. One of the biggest expenses is lighting and if you will be happy with a few low light soft corals, it's probably a good deal.
Don't use all his old water. You can take a couple 5 gal jugs worth, but it's best to make your own fresh saltwater and do a big water change in the process of moving.

Hmmm I think that's overpriced.

His filter is not worth anything. You will definitely need to upgrade filters.
Capt is right about the lights, they are probably not enough for anything but low light corals if they are Coralife's.
The crushed coral is not a good substrate, aragonite sand is way better and what you should go with instead for numerous reasons.

You generally won't want to reuse someone else's old water.

Live rock is definitely expensive, but it seems as though he has kept a fish only tank, so you don't know if the tank has ever been treated with copper. If the tank was treated with copper at any point, the rock and substrate will be worthless to you if you want to keep any sort of invertebrates (copper is fatal to invertebrates and once it's used in a tank, the substrate and rock will leach it out over time).

I would say, for this situation, pass. You can find live rock for that same price online.

This is where I disagree without everybody.

55gal. tank/stand/PC lights/live rock/filter for $250?That is in no way overprice,a very good deal if it never had copper introduced.

If this is the common 265w Coralife fixture than its plenty of light for soft and LPS corals,so there I disagree as well.I believe the light alone is $230 at the 2 Doc's website.

This is where I disagree without everybody.

55gal. tank/stand/PC lights/live rock/filter for $250?That is in no way overprice,a very good deal if it never had copper introduced.

If this is the common 265w Coralife fixture than its plenty of light for soft and LPS corals,so there I disagree as well.I believe the light alone is $230 at the 2 Doc's website.
totally:D

I would say that it is right at the cut off point. When you go look at it and just gotta have it, buy it. If its not exactly what you want or think you would be getting dont. You'll definately be able to tell if it was well maintained or not. If it wasnt talk him down 50 or 100 bucks. Like I said its right at the in between stages price wise.

Back