Trying to Identify Algae/Cyano Bacteria

ridered450R

Reefman
I have an algae/bacteria in my tank that appears with the lighting and disappears when it has been off for awhile. It looks like threads of very small bubbles. The strings of bubbles attach to the rock and to my corals. Does anybody know exactly what type it is and how to treat? Thanks!!

What color is it? Algae feeds off excessive nutrients in the tank, so there is something off there. Check your phosphates, if you are reading any at all, then look into more pure water for top off and changes. Also, how much flow do you have in your tank?

It is reddesh, brown. I am color blind and that is part of my problem. It seem to have started when I switched from CP's to MH's. Also I dumped in some new subsrate about the same time? I have never had algae problems in my tank. :frustrat:

Welcome to the site!

+1 fast Can you test the levels of your water (nitrates, phosphates, etc)? Since you're color blind, maybe someone can look at the colors for you?

A lot of things can cause algae issues. What are you feeding? How often are you feeding? Is your substrate now sand or crushed coral? Was the substrate aragonite? Do you have a sump with a fuge? Pics would help, too :)

I took a couple pictures after the MH lights had been off. They aren't the best but maybe it will help with identification. It is not a huge problem and I'm guessing less nutrients and checking the Phosphates will help. I just haven't seen it before. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks IMG-20120229-00025.jpg

IMG-20120229-00030.jpg

Oh yeah...it does look like dinos. Snotty stuff. You're in for a long blackout session. People have had to do a 100% black out for a long time -- completely blocking out all light in the tank, for I think 2 weeks.

I did a little research last night and I would agree that is what it is. DINOS. Now what? I think I will try some more carbon, checking the phos levels, less feeding, etc. Is it possible that I have had them in my tank all along but some chemistry/biological change happened and caused them to appear? I am not too up on these little critters:shock:

A breakout of cyanobacteria or dinoflagellates is not that uncommon for tanks at about 6 months of age. I had a real nasty outbreak of dino's as well

There are several things to consider here:
Nutrient export - likely nitrates and phosphates are the issues here, they are the limiting factor in algae growth. Step up water changes, feed less, start growing macro, and potentially look into GFO or BioPellets to aid in nutrient export

Flow - Increasing the flow in the tank may help keep them suspended where they can be removed by a filter sock (cleaned very often) or protein skimming

Lighting - Blackouts will help, you also want to look at the age of your bulbs if using T5 or MH (this was ultimately the cause for me) as bulbs age (and lower quality bulbs age faster) as these bulbs age, the light they put out shifts into the red spectrum, which fuels algae growth

I guess I am just luck! I have had my tank up for 11 years and never dealt with them before. I did recently dump in some new aragonite wich probably upset things a bit. My lights are new and I am running MH's for the first time. Thanks to all of you for your comments!!

I guess I am just luck! I have had my tank up for 11 years and never dealt with them before. I did recently dump in some new aragonite wich probably upset things a bit. My lights are new and I am running MH's for the first time. Thanks to all of you for your comments!!

Doubtful the addition of more substrate would cause it.

Lights on the other hand.................................
You jumped from PC to MH! Did you light acclimate your tank? That in itself could be what initially set this off.

When I had CF's I would have a 12 hour on period. Now I am doing the actinic for 12 hours and started with the MH for 2 hours x 1 wk, 4 hrs x 1wk, 6 hrs x 1 wk, now I am doing actinic 12 hrs and MH for 4 because of the algae. It is not real bad but I don't want it to get worse. I want to try to keep it at bay before increasing the MH photoperiod. Have you ever used Chemiclean? I have never used chemicals in my tank other than calcium, iodine, trace, etc. I hear good things about Chemiclean but don't know if it would even help with what I have. It is made to remove cyanobacteria, but my understanding is that dinoflaggelates are different?

Ya, it wont work with dinos. Also there is always the chance that chemi clean will crash your tank, and any that live through the treatment will be resistant to its use in the future. Just FYI :)

I would cut down on the actinics, that will help feed the algae.

Ya, it wont work with dinos. Also there is always the chance that chemi clean will crash your tank, and any that live through the treatment will be resistant to its use in the future. Just FYI :)

I would cut down on the actinics, that will help feed the algae.

At night after the MH have been off it almost totally disappears even with the actinics on. Then as soon as the MH comes on it begins to appear and spread?

Back