Tunze Turbelle Stream Powerhead System Opinions

matthew1048

Wurd to ya motha
Does anybody here know if the system which includes 4 of the Turbelle Stream 6000's is really worth all the coinage that is asked for? I'm willing to save up the dough for the system, if it's actually worth the price tag.

Do yall think I would be just as well off modding a few Maxi-Jets?

Also would this system be suitable for a 75 gallon tank, or would it be overkill???

Here's a link to the system: Tunze Turbelle Stream Water Pump/Powerhead - Marine Depot - Marine and Reef Aquarium Super Store

I surely do appreciate all of y'alls input!!! :bounce:

Matthew,I will go out on a limb and say yes they are worth it,the best on market maybe.I seen local reefers have them and they are awesome.4 on the 75 seems excessive to me.I've only seen that many on big 180gal and up tank.

Modding MJ will save you a ton,If you're a DIYer than do that.
Have you look at the Hydor Koralia...2 of the model 3 or 4 will do about the same job for half the price.

Well, thanks a ton reeffreak...at least I have good taste...LOL. I was afraid that 4 of them would be overkill, and I'm actually glad someone said that, now I have a good excuse not pay the cash for them!!!

I've saw a post on a Koralia frying a tank....but honestly, I think that cat had a few loose marbles. Nothing he said in the thread EVER made sense.

I will defentiely check the Koralia out, anyway to save a few bucks (in this case several hundred) is a BIG plus for me, and yes I am DIY inclined...mainly because I'm kinda stingy, and also because I LOVE tinkering with stuff. I saw a video on modding them, but do ya really think that simple of a mod would really boost the output of the powerhead that much???

I haven't tried the MJ mod,everyone that has seems to like it.I know there has to be people here that has.

I heard of some of the early Koralia with a certain serial no. might have a defect.I originally ordered 2 from the 2docs,but they were on backorder.When I heard about the possible problem with them I canceled my order.I think it was a few of the first batch.When they get back in stock then I will order me 2 of the Koralia 3 or............

I'm also thinking about 2 of the Tunze nanostream as supplement to 2 MJ's on my 75....just don't know yet.I'm really liking the magnet mounts of the Koralia and nanostreams.If I had serious cashflow I would even look into the Vortechs.

....back to the MJ mod....definitely the most cost effective route.
Best of Luck...tell me if you find anything else out there.

Let me know how those Koralia work out for ya Dominick, I have a birthday coming up and I'm not sure if I should use those "bonus points" on powerheads or lights....I'm wishy washy.....but heck, I got all the time in the world.....waitin till I get me house before I set the tank up anyway, I figure it would be a MAJOR headache to try and move it.

I saw those magnet mounts and that looks like a REALLY great idea!
I will def. be doing more research, and I'll let ya know what I come up with.....but as for now, I'm hittin the hay!

Hey Dominick, I've done some of that extra research and found a interesting link just in case you ever wanna mod that MJ ya got. There are kits you can buy to do the mod with, I think they run around $25 bucks...there's even a magnetic holder add-on for MJ's there. There are also full instructions for modding there too.

Link: MJmods.com, Mod your Maxi jet into a high flow pump

I also found a thread through Google, on the thread a guy shows pics of a modded MJ off then on....the results look pretty good to me. Here are the pics he posted. The powerhead was placed 4" below the surface.

Before turning on:
smoothwater4ic.jpg

After turning on:
water25lo.jpg

I'm seriously thinking about just buying some MJ's and modding them after seeing this!!!

Source: Interesting maxi-jet mod - Reef Frontiers

Last edited:
Out of curiosity should I be looking at MJ 900's or 1200's for a reef that will contain softies (zoas and shrooms) and LPS??? Most every coral I've looked at requires "low - medium" flow. I was thinking 900's but I'm not sure...also bout how many am I going to need for a 75 gallon??? Thanks again for all your help!!!

one mj modd 1200 on top middle section of your 75 would be enough flow, one mj modd 1200 has alot more flow than a seio 2600, i have a seio 2600 on one end of my 125 gallon and a mj modd 1200 on other end had 2 modd kits but it was too much flow sand was going nuts.

Hey Dfrench how big is a MJ mod.....the 1200 is pretty big as is..modding seems to make it even bigger.Size wise,how is it compared to your Seio 2600.I thinking on a 75 it would look very bulky....your thoughts?

Matthew,after looking at the pros and cons on the MJ mod,Koralias,and Tunze Nanos I'm leaning toward the Nanos....mainly because they are much smaller than MJ and Koralias and Tunzes reputation in reliability.Still don't know which models though...2 6025(660gph ea.) or 2 6045(1189gph ea.) yet.

I guess its time to save some money and stop buying coral for awhile.

Glad you clued me in to thinking about the actual size of the powerhead Dominick....seems kinda obvious now, LOL!!!!

And thanks Darrick for the input and the pics!!!

Thats for the pic Darrick,if my tank was bigger like yours than the Mod MJ would sound good.....but for me.....I like something a little smaller...still will be leaning towards the nanos.

For Matthew,Bean,Yote and everyone else looking into the Koralias

Hey everyone,I finally decided on 2 Koralia 2 instead of the 3's.All I can say is they give me a ton of flow in my 75gal(softies,LPS mainly)dominate tank.Definitely a step up from the regular powerheads and it has a nice wide flow pattern.Even the No.2 plastered the softies to the rock so it takes some adjustments.I posted a pic to show a size comparison of the Koralia 2 and a Maxi-Jet 600 with the flo rotatator.

P4180676.jpg

Back