Turbo Snail Upside Down

assafelbaz

Reefing newb
Hi.

My turbo snail is upside down now for about 5 days.

He acts like that for the past 2 weeks. He is going up on the glass and then falls on the sand upside down for 1-2 days.

Is it OK, or he is about to die?

He is dying...I noticed this same behavior with my Mexican snail that got stuck in the rocks...after I freed him he kept failing over than stopped moving all together...I put him in my garden

haha... OK, i will wait and be prepared also with a garden space...

It's not the first time snails dying to me, it is the second in the last 3 months.
The only change i made in the tank is raising the salinity from 1.022 to 1.025.

Shouldn't they live more than couple of months?

Snails can die from a salinity change...if you do get replacements I would suggest a Mexican snail, I find them to be harder and have a large enough apatite to eat most forms of algae

That isn't a huge salinity change and likely didn't harm your snails.

Turbos are known for falling on their backs and being unable to right themselves. If you don't turn them over they will die. But falling on their backs isn't a sign that they are dying - it is just normal behavior. Hopefully when they fall they are close enough to a rock or the glass to get a grip on something and turn over, but in some cases they aren't. The only invert I've ever lost was a turbo snail who fell on its back in a part of my tank that I couldn't reach and after being on its back for two days it died. The rest of my clean-up crew took care of the remains. If your's has been on its back for 5 days then it is likely dead already. This is one of the reasons that people get frustrated with turbos - you just have to watch them and right them when they fall.

Back