turbo snails

gasman

Reefing newb
I have bought some turbo snails from a lfs put them in the tank and had two of them to die already. I got them on Monday. 1 problem I was having with them was upside down on the sand bed. The only thing that I can come up with as to a reason why is becouse of the copepods in the tank causing them to close up and fall off the glass. I try to stay on top of turning them right side up but maybe not quick enought. How long when upside down before they die? And am I off base about the copepods making them fall?
All prams are good except po4's

If you don't have your tank grounded, stray currents could be the problem, I had the hardest time keeping snails alive a while back and figured out that was it.

Many of you know I had an issue with my tank about 6 months ago and I too thought it was stray voltage related and I did much research on the topic.

And got many suggestions like
1) Use Grounding Probes
2) Use Grounging Probes only if you plug it into a GFI.
3) Never use Grounding Probes, but make sure all your electrical items are plugged into GFI outlets.

I won't say I know the best answer on this topic, but here is a great article if you want to read.

Aquarium Grounding Probes

Good example in the article if i remember correct... Ever see a Squirl walk across a 10000 volt powerline? basically goes to prove the point the prescence of voltage won't kill the squirl.... Add a grounding probe now you have current in your tank... and we all know what happens when the squirl steps on the transformer.

Point is current is the enemy not voltage and Grounding Probes complete the circuit and therefor potentially make the issue even worse.

Again I'm still learning on this as electricity isn't my strong point, so you guys should read and make your own decisions on this one.

Brandon

That's an interesting article. I grounded my tank after I lost the animals (my starfish, some corals, and shrimp also died, pretty much overnight and all water parameters were good) and I didn't lose any more animals after that, but what really happened is still somewhat of a mystery.

Like I said I don't claim either way is right or wrong. I however have all my pumps etc plugged into a GFI for my protection and don't have a GP in my tank.

Whats best, I'm not sure, but thought I would share the article.

Brandon

When I got home lastnight I have not lost any more out of 20 snails I gess 2 are not bad. Dont get me wrong I hate to lose any. Buying from a lfs and that many I expect to lose some.

Back