Turning 55 into a reef tank

margaritaville

Reefing newb
I ve started setting up my 55 to be a reef tank. I have an Emperor 400 on there now, will this be enough mech. Filtration. Dont have an overflow and the tank is not drilled. Is it possible to do a reef tank without a sump?

yes my 125 is not drilled and i just made a refugium hang on i use a hang on remora pro skimmer thanks to brandon, and cascade 1500 cannister filter with for a bio filter i put course sponge and ceremic noodles for bacteria growth. i have a penn plax 300 and a skilter 400 for filtration if you go to diy picture gallery i just posted pic of back of my tank along the back is a skimmer, refugium, and 2 hang on filters. And a use one aqua clear 110 power head for water movement.

i have a 48" coralife power compact 4X65 watt 2 10,000k and 2 actnic blue fan cooled, will sell for 150.00 and will check on shipping cost there is a ups store here in town if anyone wants to buy i will throw in a 24" moonlight strip i will post pics of both in my members pic gallery.

margaritaville, the emperor 400 is a great filter, but if thats all your running I think it will be a little under powered. I would recommend adding a hang on back skimmer, like a Aqua-c remora, or CPR bakpak. then maybe a few powerheads for extra circulation, and alot of live rock. just my opinion, bryan

To answer your other question, No you dont have to have a sump, there are alot of beutiful reef tanks out there with all the fitration hanging off the back. its just a preference, and convenience issue. I would recomend that you come up with a way to surface skim the water for you filtration, usualy the hang on back skimmers have a suface skimmer box you can buy. surface skimming is one of the biggest advantages of having a sump.

Back