Turning a 20L into a Sump

It's fine to have the heater diagonal. When I bought my baffles, I used the thickest plexiglass they had at the store -- and I think that was 1/4".

Do you have a bubble trap before the return pump? Or just one single baffle?

The sump is set-up like this:

Skimmer---->Refugium----->Return Pump

The bubble trap is between the skimmer section and refugium section, and then just 1 single baffle separates the refugium from the return pump.

I'm going with 1" because I'm short space in the sump, and it was what was recommended on melevsreef.com. I read that some people space them out further to increase water flow and to make suctioning detritus out easier. I'm not too worried, though. The refugium will come after my bubble trap, and refugiums don't require much flow (in fact too much flow could cause the sand to start blowing around). And, I own a small siphon if I need to suck detritus out of in between the baffles.

The glass shop just cut the baffles! $16 for all of them (which was a third of the price I thought it would be), and they cut them for me right on the spot!! :mrgreen:

Another question: How do you silicone the bubble trap? It seems like I'm going to encounter some difficulties trying to silicone the bubble trap baffles in place since there is only going to be 1" of space for me to fit the silicone bottle and my hand into. Do you use an extended nozzle for the silicone bottle, or what? Thank you :)

Back