Tweaking my skimmer

lilyicu

FOWLR
I just got skimmer up and running today and I have a problem. It is a JEBO 180 skimmer. It runs great but I have A LOT of tiny bubbles flying out into the aquarium. If I tighten the air flow knob shut they stop but the water fills all the up into the collection container, and the flow is so intense that all you hear is running water splashing everywhere. When I clean it I would have to turn it off so that all the bubbles don't fly out in the water. Is this normal? I have never had skimmer before so I'm not sure what to expect. Other than all the bubbles in the tank it seems to work great.

It'll probably take it a while to stop throwing the bubbles.New skimmers have to be broke in.After that they usually aint as touchy and dont throw as many bubbles into the tank.

I have already taken it apart and packed it up to return. I emailed a person who purchased the same one I did and they are still having problems with theirs.

When you have to replace a skimmer, is OK to just let it blow all of those micro-bubbles into the tank? I thought that was lethal for saltwater fish.

Any skimmer will usually do that for at least a week or two when you first set it up. It's called the breaking in period. Usually, people dial it down enough so that it's not blowing bubbles, but not producing any foam either. Basically, just letting it run without it doing any work.

Also, do you use any tap water conditioner or slime coat in your tank? If so, that will cause the skimmer to go berserk, and it will do this to any skimmer. If you plan on using a skimmer, you can't use such chemicals and additives in your tank.

I use stresszyme to condition the water b/c I am using tap water. The problem with skimmer was there was hole right above the powerhead that was continually blowing out bubbles no matter what I did to the flow. My LFS uses tap water also but he uses a different water conditioner. I can try and switch and see if that helps. I know that he has skimmers on his individual tanks.

If you are using tap water with Stresszyme, there isn't a skimmer on the market that will work on your tank, sorry to say.

If you are going to run a skimmer, you need to switch to RODI water or check with your LFS about what they're using.

Was the hole in the skimmer or the powerhead? If it was part of the powerhead, it should have come with a plug to keep that from happening. Maybe it was missing that part.

I will switch to what my LFS is using. I need to run by there today.. Thanks for the input, I would have been scratching my head forever.

you hook up a RO/DI system to you water line I have mine in our laundry room It I didn't get the one with the tank I run mine right into a bucket it takes me about 5 hours to fill a 5 gal bucket.. I bought mine from the same company it works great I have 0 water condition problem love it ... this is the one that I have it's also listed on ebay

Zero 0 ppm Reef 6st Reverse Osmosis RO+DI Water Filters US $94.99

Item number: 110378192891

I'm sorry, I am very new to this, when you do your monthly water changes, if it takes you 5 hours to fill a 5g bucket, how do you do a 20% water change?

I fill my bucket days in advance then when it's time to do the change it's ready I store them in the laundry room, when it's time, just place a bubbler to get the o2 moving, heater and then mix the salt in the bucket . I know that it sound like alot but once you get ahead on the buckets you'll be fine, it's well worth it

I have a 72g so when I do my water change I will have to change at least 10g at one time. I am used to having my freshwater tank where I just take the garden hose and stick it in the tank once a month.

no it about a foot and a half wide and about a foot and a half tall it will fin under and sink if you don't have a utility room

Back