Two Part Dosing Question

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
I just made my first batch of two part solution. My tank specs read as follows:
Cal-380
Alk-9 DKh
Mag-1300ppm
PH-8.4
Im not really sure where to shoot for, as these numbers are all pretty close to specs. Im thinking that I would like to get the calcium up to around 420ppm, that is the "balanced value" for 9DKh according to the calculator provided in Randy's recipe. I would like to bump up the magnesium level to around 1600-1650 to help battle some algae issues too. This is just a double checking thread. Do I have it about right?

i have heard that rasing the mag that high can be very bad unless you use a sertian mag sup such as the tech-m i think.

i think capt said earlier unless its the kent mag supplement it wont work, and to keep mag balanced you want it a 3x your calcium reading so if your shooting for 420 calcium you want a mag of 1260

I usually try to keep my calcium between 500 and 450.Alk stays right around 12DKH sometimes it'll hit 13 with magnesium between 1350 and 1400.

Your numbers look good Ryan. Maybe get that calc up a little higher and you're golden
I just baked my first sheet of baking soda and mixed it for my first experiment with 2-part. I got some calcium chloride in a small tub called "Baquacil" from a pool supplier for the calc supplement. Dowflakes de-icer is hard to find in this mild climate!

Back