two sumps

cthegame

Reef enthusiast
I have one small sump/funge currently under my DT. I want a bigger sump but nothing will go under the DT. The only options i have now is do put a second sump right next to my current one which fits. I can fit two small ones, but one large tank wont fit.

I have attempted to connect the two sumps with an extra U-tube that i have. water drains from DT into sump 1 and from there is gets siphoned into sump 2 and from sump 2 back to DT. I just tried it and its working fine. But i just tried this 5 mins ago and am not sure if this will work permanently or not.

Is this a bad idea?

Last edited:
if i was you i would find out measurements on which size would fit under your display tank and got glasscages.com and send them an email on a acrylic tank for sump if you give them dimension they will make and they have real low prices. They will only ship ups ground on acrylic tanks only. But if two works than thats cool but make sure nothing will flood if power goes out or that you don't loose syphon on other utube.

It will work fine as long as the tube is large enough to keep up with the water coming into the sump.I am essentially running two sumps-one is the sump with equipment and the second is a refugium.

I would say that the siphon is risky... Take the tanks out and drill them and connect them with some PVC between the two, my friends dad has an acrylic sump he added a second tank to to house his skimmer. I just saw in another thread, the 125...not the new yankee workshop... one and he made drilling your tank seem simple as can be.

I had to re-read your post after Import suggestion.He is correct,for two sumps to work properly,both will need to be drilled,bulkheads connected to the holes and connected with either PVC or vinyl tubing.

Im confused here...

Its working just fine, the u-tube is not taking the water directly from the main water area, it is actually taking the water from something similar to an overflowbox. The water from sump 1 drains over the little plexiglass i have put in place. Once the water falls over the plexi glass divider, the u-tube sucks the water to sump 2. So the water level for sump 1 is always the same. Evaporation only takes place in sump 2.

To give you a visual idea...Water comes from DT into sump 1. Sump 1 is the fuge. Within sump 1, there is a plexi glass divider at end of it (left side). About 2 inches of space between the divder and left glass of the sump 1. Water drains into that 2 inch gap. U-tube siphons the water that falls into this 2 inch gap.

If the power ever goes out, the u-tube still keeps its siphon because both ends of the u-tube are always in the same water level. Even sump 2 has a divider. Water level in sump two only drops at the end half of the tank. Both sides of the utube have their own divers so that water level is always the same. The other end of the u-tube (in sump two) has a divider. Water that comes in fills up the divers and flows over it and then the pump takes it back up to the DT.

I hope i just made sense. I can take a pic if it helps. But so far, the siphon has worked fine. Its the same concept as an overflow box.

Also, sump 1 is a few inches higher than sump 2. Water level is not the same. Sump 2 is sitting lower than sump 1 so graverty will work here. I think the risk is the same as the overflow box on the DT.

Last edited:
Its just a quicky solution i came up with because i didnt want to deal with going all out and getting them drilled. It seemed easier.

Its just a quicky solution i came up with because i didnt want to deal with going all out and getting them drilled. It seemed easier. I'll take a pic of it and post it on my showcase thread.

Back