Type of algae?

JimFun71

Reefing newb
Hi all,
My tank has been running for 3 weeks now and fish has been for a week. Finally got my first ammonia readings in my tank .1 Please look at the pix and tell me if this is good algae or bad. I had a salt tank many many years ago and had red, blue, green, white, black and purple algae but I never had rust colored algae with white spots on it.
http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq99/jimfun71_2008/100_0550.jpg

Also what is this little thing laying on the sand?
http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq99/jimfun71_2008/100_0548.jpg

As always thanks for any input,
Jim

Looks like a classic diatom bloom going on. You can siphon it out and add more flow down that way but until the the tank stabilizes and matures a little bit, it will come back. Normal for a new tank. As for the second pic.....couldn't tell ya.

Hello jrose40,
I found out that yes this is a diatom bloom. Mine is starting to die off. I learned that the main cause of this is using tap water in the tank. Tap water contains phosphates and other things that are ok for humans but bad for reef tanks. As the bloom progresses it will use up all the food in the water and will start to die off. My rocks are almost completely clear now but my sand still looks shabby.
As for listed cures.
1. no lights. (although it will come back when you resume using lights. the diatoms have to consume the food before they will die off. part of the whole cycling thing. water needs to be cycled to achieve reef quality water.)
2. I added 3 small Cerith snails. (they eat diatoms and stir the sand.)
3. I do a 20% weekly water change with reverse osmossis water. (if you don't have a R.O. unit buy it from your pet store or buy drinking water in gallon jugs from grocery store. Drinking water is R.O. water. DON'T BUY SPRING WATER)

No, just leave it alone while your tank is cycling.

Also diatoms feed off of silicates, which is commonly found in new rocks and sand, which is why they are common in new tanks, but die off after a couple of weeks. They can stick around if your water source has silicates in it.

But you are right, tap water does contain all sorts of nasty crap that will fuel other algae growth and can kill sensitive inverts. So you want to use RO/DI water when making up your saltwater. You can buy a RO/DI filter for your house so you dont have to carry water around.

Back