Type of fish in a reef tank...

sramkumar

Reefing newb
Dear All,

I am setting up a reef tank in my biocube 29 and I was wondering if you could throw some light on what kind of fish I should put in it. I need some advice on reef safe and some what easy to maintain fish. I am looking at 4-6 fish max...and some corals...

Any recommendation on what my mix should be?

Thanks,
RS

With a tank that size you are really limited to three small fish.

I would recommend some type of goby (there are so many to choose from) and a pair of clowns. Or a goby and a pair of firefish.

Do you mean a watchman goby?

And damsels can be incredibly aggressive... I would steer clear of them in a smaller tank.

Has your tank cycled yet? Please also keep in mind that you should wait three weeks between additions.

Damsels are mean SOB and you will end up with one mean damsel that will kill everything else you put in there. I would not recommend them.

And the workman goby get too big for your tank. Each fish needs a specific amount of space and should not be put in a tank smaller than that.

And awesome place to check out fish is Saltwater Fish: Marine Aquarium Fish for Saltwater Aquariums

Make sure you check how big of a tank each fish needs, their temperament, and other behavioral stuff to make sure all the fish you have will get along.

I can vouch fo r that on the Damsels, I have two yellow/Blue ones, and they bite at me and everything, my clown did that too, but they are in the Damsel family as well.

Dracula Goby.........

Do you mean a watchman goby?

And damsels can be incredibly aggressive... I would steer clear of them in a smaller tank.

Has your tank cycled yet? Please also keep in mind that you should wait three weeks between additions.

Yes Erin, I am sorry, I meant the watchman goby...thank you very much for your tips...

Damsels are mean SOB and you will end up with one mean damsel that will kill everything else you put in there. I would not recommend them.

And the workman goby get too big for your tank. Each fish needs a specific amount of space and should not be put in a tank smaller than that.

And awesome place to check out fish is Saltwater Fish: Marine Aquarium Fish for Saltwater Aquariums

Make sure you check how big of a tank each fish needs, their temperament, and other behavioral stuff to make sure all the fish you have will get along.

Thank you very much...the link to liveaquaria was an awesome recommendation...

I had 2 Bangaii Cards, 2 clowns and a diamond goby in my 28g, but my intention was eventually to ramp up to a 65g, which I've done. While they were doing fine for 1.5 years in the small tank, they are loving the bigger space.

So, +1 Erin 3, 4 tops in this tank on small fish. Clowns are so interactive, and gobies are a blast to watch. Mine would move the sand from one side of the tank, to the other, and back again. He kept the hard-to-reach places pristine!
Good luck!

Back