Typical Snail Lifespan

They only live as long as they can stay away from the killer hermits. Not sure on the actual answer. I have some snails that have been in my system for several months and you can see the new shell growth.

I had one named Bertha that was in my tank for 5 years before she died. There is a huge range when it comes to snail life span!

Other than the snails that were butchered by my hermit crabs, I've had all of my snails for as long as I've had my tank up and running, roughly 4 months...

Okay. Thank you all for your input. I bought a new batch of snails about 6 weeks ago and Ive noticed the last 2 days one of them has been in the same spot. He isn't even moving now that he's half buried in sand thats been kicked up on him.

Also, I do not have any hermit crabs, precisely for the safety of my snails.

How did you acclimate the snails?

They are very sensitive to changes in pH and salinity. Sudden changes destroy their internal organs and they slowly die after a few weeks. I drip acclimate them for several hours.

Okay. Thank you all for your input. I bought a new batch of snails about 6 weeks ago and Ive noticed the last 2 days one of them has been in the same spot. He isn't even moving now that he's half buried in sand thats been kicked up on him.

Also, I do not have any hermit crabs, precisely for the safety of my snails.

Sometimes snails just stay put for a day or two..It's not like they've got somewhere to be. :D

Back