uggg...I have Aiptasia Anemonies

So I added some LR and have got aiptasia anemoneies everywhere now!!! :frustrat: I orderd this today but has anyone had success with it??? or is there another way to get rid of them I got 2 peppermint shrimps last week but I think I need something to help the lil guys catch up. let me know if this is good or is there something else? I have sucessfully got a few off by catching them with tweezer but not many.

http://www.marineandreef.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Aiptasia Anemone&Extensive_Search=Y

I have used similar before. most of those are just kalk, but they work well. peppermints work amazingly they just take a bit of time so like all things with the reef patients is the key. they will get it. im almost sure of it. I had over a hundred at one time and 5 peps took care of them all in a matter of 3-4 months. 100% gone.

i had 2 in my 36. did the job just fine. I think you will be fine with 2 but you could add another without harming anything.

Pepperments will work.
That Aiptasia-X will work too.Aiptasias will actually eat it,then it'll harden inside them.

You should get one or two more peppermints. Some don't take a liking to the aiptasia, so the more you have, the better your chances of getting one with a voracious appetite.

I had alot from a LR i bought, I added 2 peppermints to it and they took care of it over about 3 months. The only problem i have heard when it comes to peppermints is that if the aptasia is to big, they wont be able to effectivly control it. If thats that case, it hve heard that copperband butterfly fish do a pretty good job at controling it as well.

I have always heard people say they will not eat large ones, prom my personal experience I had aptasia that were at least 4 inches in diameter. HUGE aptasia. And they took care of it. Guessing its real situation dependant based on the individual shrimp.

Thanks well I am picking up 2 more peppermint shrimp this afternoon and the Aiptasia-X is in the mail but I would rather let the collect dust on my shelf :)

As Claq50 alluded to, a copperbanded butterfly fish is a beautiful way to keep aptasia in check. My copperband used to love the stuff, and would leave all the other corals alone.

Your 46g tank is probably too small for any butterfly, I'd stick with the peps. Even though a $20 kleins butterfly would work really well and be cheaper than 3 or 4 peps, the fish might not do so well in a smaller tank. The joes juice/equivalent seems to work, but they'll still come back. Seems like no matter what we do, we're stuck with them once we get one. :(
Good luck with your battle!

I have those little shits too! I have several peppermint shrimp, but they don't seem to do the job for me- or at least fast enough. I have gone through 2 small bottles of the "X" product and I am very happy with it. It does the trick. I just got some refill bottles from pet solutions (cheaper per oz) for my next go around. I really like the product. My only problem is when there is a lot of little ones in a group. Can be hard to spot treat each of them. I just blown the stuff all over them as a group and it seems to work. Good luck!

Wait two months and them you will answer your question. They spread fast and are a pain to get rid of. They are not cool at all. Ive been lucky and never had them, but they can take over a tank in no time.

Back