ughhhhh

"For SE bulbs, tanks 18" and shorter it is recommended to use 175. For tanks 18-24” deep 250 watt bulbs are recommended and tanks 24" and over will use 400 watt MH bulbs. I have found most soft and large-polyped-stony corals to do just fine within 5-15 inches from a 175 watt bulb and 10-24 inches from a 400 watt bulb. Most small-polyped-stony corals survive within 5-10 inches from a 175 watt but appear to thrive within 5-15 inches of 250 and 400 watt bulbs."

Thats from..... uhhh MarineDepot probably not the greatest source but still gets the message across.

These are from tests that Larry (ccCapt) did himself, granted to 250w XM 10K has a higher output then the 175w but, that's a freakish bulb. The 175w generally have a higher output then the other 250s
PAR-mh.jpg

Does that graph not show 250s leading across the board, of course the one exception of comparing a 20k to a 10k the 10k will generally always have more PAR relative to higher K values.

The XM10k's 175 compared to 250 since its the exact same bulb, has the 250 putting out more on the PAR.

You're reading it right but, it's only putting out more PAR if you're running that 10k bulb.

But the OP isn't running a 20k bulb..10k is gonna put out more par, because they don't have so much of the blue spectrum...I think we can make a pretty good assumption that the 14k's would be right in between those 2 numbers.

The biggest difference is going distances into the tank, you can see how much the 175's drop off.

Believe me I'd love to agree with you because Cathic and I only agree on 2 things.

1. 250's are better than 175's
2. Bowling is not a sport..

Uhhhh...Make that one thing,:D

Those tests don't show that 175 watt bulbs put out more usable light than 250 watt bulbs. All it shows is that a couple brands of 175 watt bulbs are really good, but overall, they still put out less than the 250 watt bulbs.

At 1" below water, the 175 watt Iwasaki and XM bulbs put out more light than one of the 250 watt bulbs, but any deeper than 1", and you are better off sticking with a 250 watt bulb.

I think that table proves what most people here are saying -- he needs more light. What he is running is not enough for SPS.

But the OP isn't running a 20k bulb..10k is gonna put out more par, because they don't have so much of the blue spectrum...I think we can make a pretty good assumption that the 14k's would be right in between those 2 numbers.
Actually according to ccCapt, the 15Ks are worse. He criticized me when I got my XM 15Ks last month because the PAR wasn't great but, I did get mine more for the color spectrum then the PAR.

Those tests don't show that 175 watt bulbs put out more usable light than 250 watt bulbs. All it shows is that a couple brands of 175 watt bulbs are really good, but overall, they still put out less than the 250 watt bulbs.

At 1" below water, the 175 watt Iwasaki and XM bulbs put out more light than one of the 250 watt bulbs, but any deeper than 1", and you are better off sticking with a 250 watt bulb.

I think that table proves what most people here are saying -- he needs more light. What he is running is not enough for SPS.

I would still disagree, any deeper then 10-12" and you'd be better off with the 250w. But, I still won't go so far as to say it's not enough light (he apparently has all of his SPS under that one light). How can you say it's not enough for SPS when you have some in your pico?

I know the wpg rule doesn't hold strong in all cases, but over his 80 gallon tank, he has 175 watts of light -- just over 2 wpg. In my 3 gallon pico, I have 18 watts of light (6 wpg). And my SPS is about 4" below the light -- not the surface of the water, but 4" below the light itself. The tank is so small, the light hardly has to penetrate through any water.

In his tank (which is a foot and a half deep), that 175 watt halide is just not going to cut it to keep SPS.

He is here asking why is SPS doesn't grow. I think light is an obvious issue, and should be addressed.

That's exactly why the WPG rule does not work anymore. Because the majority of his light output is focused in one part of his tank, the part where he is keeping the corals.

I think there are a few other things that need to be posted like, how low in the tank are his SPS, what brand/spectrum bulbs is he using, and how old are they.

Until then, I can't agree that there's not enough light. I had my acros growing in my sandbed when I was using crappy Odyessa bulbs, there's no way that my sandbed was getting good/usable light that far down.

I think we can all agreethat sps's need light to grow, so cathic's 1st post state's that they are not dying but not growing either to me the answer is obvious..I think if cathic would post a pic the answer would become a lot clearer...

ok i might invest in a 250 watt balast.
my halide is about 6 months old, getting ready to change it, i just bought a new bulb yesterday

Lighting is a big thing, I just built an algae scrubber I got pics. Its the 200 gal build in tank show cases. I think on page 11 is algae scrubber I just built. I think it takes about a month to notice the difference. Lighting is a big problem I will have to admit. I just lowered my 3 175halides and 2-t-5's just 2 inches off the tank top, they were 13 inches above the tank.Bifferwine is wise but cranky.

Lighting is a big thing, I just built an algae scrubber I got pics. Its the 200 gal build in tank show cases. I think on page 11 is algae scrubber I just built. I think it takes about a month to notice the difference. Lighting is a big problem I will have to admit. I just lowered my 3 175halides and 2-t-5's just 2 inches off the tank top, they were 13 inches above the tank.Bifferwine is wise but cranky.

i will sound like an idiot but what exactialy is a algie scrubber, i tried to look at ur post but my computer is being realllly slow foe sum reason

i will sound like an idiot but what exactialy is a algie scrubber, i tried to look at ur post but my computer is being realllly slow foe sum reason

Its a filter kind of like a Skimmer. Look at the DIY section at the top is a sticky. I run one and swear by it.

I'm going to post a thread one day about the algae scrubbers..Maybe then somebody will start listening.

Algae scrubbers are easy to make, cost less than $20, take the place of a skimmer in most cases, and completely REMOVE nitrates and phosphates. I've never had a skimmer, I've used an algae scrubber since day 1..I've never had algae. I've never had nitrates above 5ppm. My water is crystal clear. They work perfectly.

Unfortunately if you have algae before you install the scrubber, it takes a month or two to make a dent in it. Just keep up with your water changes and maintaining your scrubber, I still have a few nuisance patches that are driving me nuts.

Back