Uh Oh.....

baeya

Aquarium Addict
I have a problem. I'm cycling a 65 gallon tank for seahorses. Its been set up for a week now. I used 40 pounds of Carib Sea live sand and 32 pounds of dry rock. I also put API Quick Start in it a couple days ago. I'm showing Ammonia and Nitrite today. I also started seeing 'brown dust' on the dry rock as well.

My problem is; I ordered an ORA mandarin and some snails to be delivered the end of next week. I just got an email that it will be delivered tomorrow!

I don't know what to do.....

lots of water changes. keep that ammonia under 1ppm and the nitrites as low as possible. you will be changing water every day to keep it low

Would setting up a small tank tonight be a better option. I have a ten gallon set up that I could set up quick and change out the water in it every day. I have some live sand left over from a pico I set up a couple weeks ago. If this is a better way to go, is the opened bag of live sand still okay to use?

no the water quality will change alot faster in a smaller tank. i would do a couple water changes to the get the levels down or call them and tell them not to ship it yet.

Okay..... I'm on it.
I can't stop the shipment. It has already been received by FedEx and will be here tomorrow.
Thank you so much for the advise! I will do a WC now and possibly another in the morning. Geesh.....why do they give you an option of a delivery date if they aren't going to send them to you on that day?

It is unlikely your tank will even be cycled by the end of next week.

Why would you order livestock without cycling first?

It is unlikely your tank will even be cycled by the end of next week.

Why would you order livestock without cycling first?

I guess I believed the hype about the bacteria in a bottle and the instant cycle bit.

I've used bottled bacteria several times to cycle my freshwater tanks and never had a problem with it.

I guess I believed the hype about the bacteria in a bottle and the instant cycle bit.

I've used bottled bacteria several times to cycle my freshwater tanks and never had a problem with it.

Just pointing out, since I have been there. Salt water is a completely different experience than freshwater. Pretty much the only similarity is that you have a tank with water in it.

And since there is not much else you can do right now, your best bet is to do as daugherty said and try to keep your parameters in check.

Also, I sure hope you can get your mandarin to eat. They can be very finicky and since the tank is new, there is very little in it. The good thing is that you ordered an ORA one that hopefully will take to eating frozen foods.

I think I may have dodged a bullet. I set up an Evolve2 saltwater tank a few weeks ago with live rock and live sand. I just checked the levels and it's 0, 0, 20. I've seen a couple bristle worms in there and some snail looking things.

I'm assuming I can keep the mandarin in there until the 65 finishes its cycle. Thoughts on this??

It shouldn't be a problem to put the mandarin and snails in the evolve 2 tank for now, until the 65 gal is finished cycling.

Thanks for the support. I have ordered my seahorses from OceanRider.com because they were on special but, they are waiting to hear from me before shipping, thank goodness.

I have PE mysis and prawn roe on hand. I started a bucket of saltwater last night and it is still airateing. I'm thinking I will have to add some to the Evolve2 as I drip acclimate. Wish me luck!! :^:

Not to be a D!ck but your tank is far from ready for seahorses. They are very fragile and your tank still has the potential to go through swings. And same goes for the Mand. Its most likely going to die as it is a picky eater. It requires pods. Your dry rock most likely isn't even live rock yet either.

Not to be a D!ck but your tank is far from ready for seahorses. They are very fragile and your tank still has the potential to go through swings. And same goes for the Mand. Its most likely going to die as it is a picky eater. It requires pods. Your dry rock most likely isn't even live rock yet either.

Maybe a little harsh but, by no means a dick. I'll let ya know how it works out for me.

You won't have to tell me. I know one or more will die.. Do a little research and listen to people before you rush. Not a hobby you can rush unless you don't care about killing or blowing money. Might have been a good deal but won't be when they die and you buy more

You won't have to tell me. I know one or more will die.. Do a little research and listen to people before you rush. Not a hobby you can rush unless you don't care about killing or blowing money. Might have been a good deal but won't be when they die and you buy more

Wow.....chill out, man....
The seahorses aren't coming until I'm ready for them. I know it won't be for awhile yet. Yes, I jumped the gun on the mandarin. He is acclimating to the Evolve2, which is cycled. The mandarin is from ORA and suppose to eat frozen food, which I have ready for him. I also have fresh bbs going daily for my 1000+ gallon freshwater angelfish nursery.
Please don't accuse me of not caring about my fish, you don't know me at all.

The big question is why would an experienced fish keeper order things for a tank without verifying some basic water parameters first? Even with the magic in a bottle bacteria, it's not like water tests are difficult. If you have large angelfish setup, you should be no stranger to water tests

A little bit of research on the ORA mandarin would have told you that they won't necessarily eat frozen after shipping and acclimation, they are difficult fish, and they should not be the first fish in a tank due to a lack of pods

Obviously you didn't research

The big question is why would an experienced fish keeper order things for a tank without verifying some basic water parameters first? Even with the magic in a bottle bacteria, it's not like water tests are difficult. If you have large angelfish setup, you should be no stranger to water tests

A little bit of research on the ORA mandarin would have told you that they won't necessarily eat frozen after shipping and acclimation, they are difficult fish, and they should not be the first fish in a tank due to a lack of pods

Obviously you didn't research

Who said I'm not testing my tanks? I know where my 65g is at. I have a cycled tank to put the mandarin in. How dare you suggest I didn't research. Find someone else to pick on.

Back