Ultralife red slime remover or microbe lift special blend

Ariel110G

Reefing newb
So this is my dilemma, I have a 75g reef tank, I have been having red slime algae for the past 2 weeks and it’s getting worse, I have reactors with carbon, GFO & Bio pellets, sump/refugim and skimmer.

In the past with my old 110g I did use ultralife red slime remover with no problems or ill effects that I know of, but today that my 75 in doing and looking a lot better than my old 110g I don’t want to take the risk & and today my method of tank care is that I like to keep things in my tank as natural as possible, so adding something that kills the red slime algae bacteria, will probably kill other good stuff in my tank, or someone might say that whatever good bacteria it will kill will come back or can be replenished. I have heard that microbe lift special blend can help I got a bottle, but as of now I don’t see improvement.

So to go with ultralife red slime remover or not to?????

Are you feeding too much? Have you tried increasing your flow in those dead areas? Have you stepped up your water changes and syphoned as much of the slime out as possible? Have you tried cutting down your light cycle a bit? Have you tried doing a 72 hour black out? Did you change anything (i.e. food, feeding habits, tank maintenance, etc...) that might have caused your issue? These are all the things I would exhaust before putting the chemical in the tank.

Are you feeding too much? Have you tried increasing your flow in those dead areas? Have you stepped up your water changes and syphoned as much of the slime out as possible? Have you tried cutting down your light cycle a bit? Have you tried doing a 72 hour black out? Did you change anything (i.e. food, feeding habits, tank maintenance, etc...) that might have caused your issue? These are all the things I would exhaust before putting the chemical in the tank.
salt for brains youve just triggered a question from me.how long are corals allowed without light before it affects them adversely?

honestly, I have not done yet any of the non chemical removal methods, what I will like to know is what will be the affect on the corals not having light for 72 hours?

Your corals will be fine for 72 hours. I had to do it a couple years ago battling Dino's and I have anemones, clam, SPS and LPS. If you do the lights out method take some towels and cover the glass on the outside so no artificial light can get through as well. Be ready to do a water change as soon as you come out of the black out. Also keep an eye on your PH to make sure it doesn't drop too much during this period.
The sun doesn't always shine on the coral reef.

I would try some of the other methods I asked you about before going the lights out method.

picture of my tank before red slime started.

Attachments

• WP_20140213_005.jpg
    WP_20140213_005.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 350
  • WP_20140131_006.jpg
    WP_20140131_006.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 410
+1 for Chemiclean, dosed last weekend, lights out for 2 days, water change, and not a speck of red slime now. Zero negative impacts. That is the only chemical I use/trust to date.

I use microbelift for my pond for winter/spring prep. It is a bacteria to break down waste that has settled. I'm unsure of the salt version of it. It is fun to put into unsuspecting coworkers lockers...... it smell like a combo of rotten eggs and water butt.

So I did end up using Chemiclean his past Sunday I just had enough!!!!
It looks like zero negative affects to coral, or fish, it actually looks like the corals are more open and flourishing.
I will do a water change this Sunday.

Back