ultralife red slime remover

michelle

Reefing newb
Quick story: I don't drive because I have a fainting disorder. I sent my husband out for some kalkwasser because I have read it is beneficial to your tank in many ways, including helping with reducing cyano.

Well, he came back with a golden head sandsifter ordered, a new powerhead ordered-my flow seems to be not adequate. I have dead spots where the algae(cyano) is, and some "red slime remover" to fix the problem until the others come in. (nice of the guy to recommend to him at $35, non refundable)

I have checked my water parameters and the only thing up a bit is (still) my phosphates (reactor ordered-will be about a month though:()

So-do i use the super expensive remover while I wait for my powerhead and reactor? It says it is coral, fish and invert safe...but, I am VERY hesitant.

I am unsure about the sandsifter. I am already high on my stocking. The store (not the one i usually use) apparently made him pay for the fish upfront and will not refund it (he JUST paid for it within the 1/2 hour) but, I am free to (as the guy said when I called to cancel the order) just not pick him up. (gee thanks)

I forgot that the store I usually use is closed today. So my husband (eager to please) tried a larger pet store chain. He meant well. but got screwed royally!

eh mistake happen, on the goby thing i think youll be fine, i wouldnt worry about it too much. as for the "red slime remover" i dont know anything about it so ill leave it to the others

I personally wouldnt use the slime remover.You can get the exact same results by leaving the off for 3 or 4 days.
To help with the phosphates.You can put the media in one of those bags and put it in your sump.(cant remember if your running a sump or not).Thats how I do mine.Well,I actually just stick it between the baffles going into the return section.
I also think the goby will be fine.But it might also be a good excuse to get a bigger tank:D

BTW,
He got ripped off big time on the slime remover.You can buy it all day long here for less than half that price.I think I'd be putting a call into the BBB over that one.

remember she leave very close to the north pole so shipping was probably factored into that price

lol. hey now!:D I am not THAT close to the north pole!!! its cold and snows here, but, It's not north pole bad!:cold:
But yeah, the price is ridiculous.

I also think the goby will be fine.But it might also be a good excuse to get a bigger tank:D[/quote]

That's what I like about you yote! ALWAYS THINKIN!:Cheers:

Your husband meant well and was trying to help you, that's sweet of him.

Save the slime remover until you try other options first. It is usually reef safe, and it usually works well, but should only be used as a last resort, since after one use, the cyano becomes resistant to it and it won't be as effective again, if at all.

Yeah, my husband is sweet that way. Unfortunately, all he really knows about the hobby is that it is expensive:) and you know how some lfs are when you aren't sure. They only see your wallet

I remember reading where someone on here used it and said it works good the first time but won't work after that. So maybe whoever it was will fill you in on it.

Back