UMG It Burns !!

It's just a cute little baby one....white vinegar will help disolve the bristles and take some of the itch away.

DOH! That sucks, mandarin! and LOL @chich :D

I say it all the time...GLOVES GLOVES GLOVES!! It takes just one time to cause yourself injury or catch some kind of hard-to-cure infection.

That is not a fireworm... Just a bristle worm... And that is the reason, why I don`t have a single one of them in my tank... When You brink in new rock, put it in freshwater, bristle worms hate freshwater, and they will jump out of the rock hiding places... and then I take it and kill it :) ... If I would believe in god and heaven in hell, I would be scared :D

That is not a fireworm... Just a bristle worm... And that is the reason, why I don`t have a single one of them in my tank... When You brink in new rock, put it in freshwater, bristle worms hate freshwater, and they will jump out of the rock hiding places... and then I take it and kill it :) ... If I would believe in god and heaven in hell, I would be scared :D

If you dip your live rock in freshwater, you kill the rock and just wasted all the money you spent on live rock. You might as well buy dry rock and save yourself the cash.

Bristleworms are helpful and good hitch hikers. Care must be taken to not touch them because they will prick you.

If you dip your live rock in freshwater, you kill the rock and just wasted all the money you spent on live rock. You might as well buy dry rock and save yourself the cash.

Bristleworms are helpful and good hitch hikers. Care must be taken to not touch them because they will prick you.

I was only cleaning the sand ._. :grumble:

I have never been stung by a bristle worm. Either their toxin doesn't effect me, or more likely, my hands are so calloused from work that the stingers don't penetrate deep enough.

Nope... Only bristle worms... and You don`t need to hold it in the freshwater, just do a quick dip.. I did that to all my rock, everything is wine... amnipods survived, red fan worms.,feather dusters... except the mf bristle worms

Bristle worms IMO are far better cleaners than any snail crab or shrimp. They can get into smaller places and eat all kinds of :pooh:

Getting rid of them just because they can sting is silly. If you are worried, get a pair of gloves. Their usefulness outweighs their sting.

Bristle worms IMO are far better cleaners than any snail crab or shrimp. They can get into smaller places and eat all kinds of :pooh:

Getting rid of them just because they can sting is silly. If you are worried, get a pair of gloves. Their usefulness outweighs their sting.

+1....I got bristles stuck on the tips of my fingers and it doesnt bother me. But I got some up in between my fingers and it itched like crazy. The most uncomfortable thing I've done is while holding a razor blade and scraping the glass, I put the back of my hand on one of my big maxi minis. That left a rash I wont soon forget! Another good reason for gloves. There are worse things to be stuck by than bristleworms. Hardest working reef janitor there is. If the population gets to high, overfeeding is most likely the reason. They are a little creepy but you get used to them.

Back