umm what the heck, need help

LConte17

Reefing newb
my water has been like perfect for weeks until right now.

i come home and my Temp. had spiked to over 84 degrees. what i dont get is is i dont even have my heater plugged in. i dont have heat at all in my room or even on the floor that my room is on.

anyways, my par. where damn near perfect for the past weeks, all of a sudden im noticing a brown algae growing on the LR. i guess its safe to say that even though everything was good, the tank wasnt fully cycled even though everything was perfect and seemed to have been? or could the algae be from the damn temp spike?

anyways what should i do to cool it off some since i dont have a heater in it nor is there heat in my room. ice cubes in a a bag then placed in another bag?

Your equipment can give off heat too, like powerheads, lights or pumps. I'd check those. You can put ice cubes in a bag to cool it off. Try and get the temp down gradually. And try to figure out what caused it. The algae wouldn't be from the temp spike. Most likely water quality.

Since you don't have a heater plugged up,try checking to see if a pump/powerhead hasn't locked up and overheating your tank.Find the cause and try what Biff suggested.

ok I just checked the pump, its still still pumping away.

checked my water quality.

PH level sits at 8.2
Salintiy level sits at 1.023
zero'd out on Ammonia, nitrite levels
nitrate level is almost zero.

Temp dropped down to 79 last night, but that was with teh led lights on not the main lights soo.

Your algae is most likely diatoms common in a new aquairum it will go away on its own yes it is ugly but if you just cant stand it you can get some snails to take care of it.

I had trouble with my tanks getting too warm.Usually when my lights come on.Theres 2 ways to take care of that #1 buy a chiller #2 set a fan,the kind you'd use just to move air around the room and set it so it blows across the or at the tank.
I have one going on both my tanks,plugged into the timers so the fans come on with the lights.

Back