undergravel filter question

rmdavis

Reefing newb
hello everyone, I am brand new here and thought maybe ya'll could answer a question.

I am setting up a 100 gal. reef tank and my lfs suggested that I make a pvc framework covered with lattice and 3 powerheads set up to form an undergravel filter. I was just curious if any of ya'll have any experience with this and your opinions on if it is helpful or if I would be just as good with the deep sand bed and placing the powerheads about the tank just for the current?

thanks

I think the Undergravel Filter method is more common in Freshwater tanks and some run them in saltwater tanks for a month then cap it off to creat a plenum.

I would suggest a 3-4 inch sandbed. A large amount of Live Rock and a good amount of current as you suggested.

Hope this helps.
BV

bkv1997 said:
I think the Undergravel Filter method is more common in Freshwater tanks and some run them in saltwater tanks for a month then cap it off to creat a plenum.

I agree with BKV and there are some very good articles in the helpful articles forum on sand beds. good luck keep us posted.

thanks for the input,,, I will keep everyone updated. all I am waiting on now is for my things (powerheads, sump compnents ,etc.) to get in at the lfs and I am set to get things rolling.

Back