unexpected cloudy water and Nitrate increase

lockkeeper69

Reefing newb
For some reason my water has become cloudy. Started two days ago. Nothing has changed. I did a water change 1 week prior. I noticed after that water change an algae bloom. Sand turned brown. Water was fine. Prior to water change perameters all good 0 Ammonia; 0 Nitrites and trace Nitrates.

I checked water perameters current (Today) and have found the following:
PH 82
Ammonia 0 PPM
Nitrates 0 PPM
Nitrates 20 PPM
Specific Gravity 1.0265
Temp 80.7
PH 8.2

I am running a Octopus 800 HOB skimmer and also a Fluval F5 cannister filter. I clean the canister filter ofter and have not had an issue to now. Yesterday I cleaned again and it did not appear very dirty. It has been producing a lot of micro bubbles. I added carbon, fine filter pad and a polishing pad to the canister yesterday.

Something going on. I dont know what would have caused a cycle if this is what is happening.

One note... I have not used RO water. Everything has been tap water. I know this is bad. This is ending today. I have to do a water change to reduce the Nitrates. I dont know where to buy RO water. Even if I find a place I need bottles or something to transport.

I would like to buy 5 gallon water bottles with water to start. Can I purchase from Wal-Mart or Home Depot? If so what kind of water would be good? I have not seen anything labeled Reverse Osmosis. Would distilled water or spring water work?

My LFS is not very close. This is a weekend trip and I need a water change now. If I bought the water in bottles I would then have a container to transport.

Just buy a RODI unit (even if you have to charge it) It will be cheaper in the long run, after about three months or less. I don't know how people do it without one! I compare it to not having indoor plumbing. :lol: Hauling water is a PITA.

I am going to purchase one from the purewaterclub today. they have a week special that I dont think I can pass on.

Thanks for the info.

Could the tap water have started a cycle in the system with the last water change?

I have since done a water change with RO water about 10% and the Nitrates came down and the water has cleared. I think I am back in good shape again.

what i did, was i went to the walmart, went to the paint department, and i bought 6 of the white 5 gallon buckets with lids. (these do not have a great seal, but i dont care for how i use them)
look on the bottom and make sure that they are a recycle #1or #2, and then go to the culligan machine up front and fill em up.
3 of the 5 gal buckets will fit in a walmart shopping cart. and then you can stack the other 3 on top.

thats what i did, till i found the water house. its just this little building out in a parking lot, and its coin operated. $.25 per gallon. so i just go there now. I take the pickup, throw the buckets in the back, fill em up at the water house, chuck em in the back of the truck and head for the house.

simple enough.

not as easy as having your own filter, but really not too bad.

Back