Unhappy LPS

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Hi guys

A couple of my LPS have been looking progressively worse over the last several days and I'm not exactly sure why or what to do about it. First up is the pearl bubble - which if you've followed my posts know the problems I've had with it related to the clownfish. Well I moved it to another part of the tank, changed the flow pattern, and it improved. The female clown "found it" again, but I managed to prop my long tongs in front of it and that kept everyone away from it, and it rebounded again. But yesterday I noticed more tissue loss and closing in areas that have previously been super healthy. Next up is a tiny frogspawn. It was growing like crazy and super happy for a few months, then this week it's been increasingly retracted and yesterday was retracted entirely and looked like tissue had receded substantially on the head. Finally is a 7 head trumpet that was super happy, super inflated, and extended its tentacles every time I fed the tank. I went on vacation a few weeks ago and even though I was monitoring the tank, the trumpet shrunk up. I noticed a ton of pineapple sponges growing on, so I pulled all of those off thinking they might be irritating it. It started to look a little better after that, but has been really retracted again this week.

Parameters are <5 nitrate, 0/0 ammonia/nitrite, 8-9 alk, sg 1.025, temp 79-80. I did up the intensity of my lights by about 5% last weekend as I've had the intensity really low (25/25/30 max for a 1.5hr period during the day, and less than that the rest of the day) and thought it was time to start ramping it up. I was also thinking that maybe my corals were needing some more light after adjusting to the LEDs for a few months. I don't think I changed the intensity so substantially that it would have such a big impact on these three corals. I also did add black sand last weekend too, though, which probably made the change in intensity a wash since there was no longer reflection off the bottom glass. I have not tested calc, mag, etc. - would these impact tissue recession if they were off, or just skeletal growth? I'm out of ideas and need some help. Oh, I should also add that I did put the pearl bubble back in its original place last night and moved the flow back to its earlier pattern in case my corals were unhappy due to the change.

I've realized that my lps corals do not really like the bright intensity of the led's. That may be the issue and they have to adjust to the new intensity. All my lps's did the same thing when i first got my led system. Good luck with them.

Well, they've been under the LEDs for months and have been quite happy up to this point. Also, most people have found the AI Sols, that a 60/70/70 combo seems to be the best for their corals - mine have only been at a 25/25/30, and now are at a 25/30/35 combo - and that much intensity is only for a few hours a day max. So I'm reluctant to say its too much light.... but it could be.

I agree with you, I don't think you have it up too high, I was just speaking from my experience. I wonder if you have any thing in there irritating them. How are your other critters doing?

Have you noticed any brown jelly on the bubble coral? It can be a highly contagious and deadly LPS disease that tends to set in on a coral that has been damaged (or over loved in this case) and then spread through the tank.

If it is brown jelly disease you need to cut off the dying tissues, and the give the rest of the living LPS corals a dip in an iodine solution.

Everything else seems fine, its just those three corals. The other 3 headed frogspawn and 2 headed torch I have are great, as are my acans, blastos, astralomussa, favia, etc. I've been battling another round of zoo pox but I don't think that's related... All three have a decent amount of space from other corals (4-6") so I don't think they are getting stung.... I even had my water tested by a friend to verify my test results. If anything, his tests show that my alk is a bit lower than what my tests say (mine say closer to 10-11), and lower nitrates than what my tests say (mine say about 10).

Have you noticed any brown jelly on the bubble coral? It can be a highly contagious and deadly LPS disease that tends to set in on a coral that has been damaged (or over loved in this case) and then spread through the tank.

If it is brown jelly disease you need to cut off the dying tissues, and the give the rest of the living LPS corals a dip in an iodine solution.

I haven't noticed any brown jelly. Would it help to dip the bubble coral anyway? I've heard that once tissue recession starts on these it tends to take the whole colony pretty quickly.... I was hoping I could save it, but maybe I need to frag off the sad parts and hope I can save the rest of it?

And I guess I should clarify that on both the bubble and frogspawn, the tissue recession I am seeing is essentially now seeing parts of the toothy skeleton where before the tissue fully covered the teeth, and on the bubble extended well down the outer edges of the skeleton. The trumpet heads are just small - about 1/4 of what they used to be, but no skeleton showing or tissue recession.

I would frag off the sad parts and dip for all the effected lps corals

Okay I will do that. What type of iodine solution should I use? I have coral rx, but I don't think that's an iodine solution. Also, what can I use to frag off the sad parts of the bubble? Would a hack saw work? Its a really large colony with a thick skeleton.

Ugh, I hate fragging up this coral! I love the skeletal structure so much on it and still really want to save it. I talked to the place I bought it from and they said I can bring it back and they will use their saw to frag it for me - the skeleton is several inches thick so I don't think breaking it off is an option (its not really a branching coral even though I've refered to "branches" on it).... Is there any chance I rehab it if I moved it to its own tank? I have a 10g I could use, and I could move one of the two powerheads from my 10g nano (I think I have a little too much flow in that one anyway. The only thing I really don't have is lights... I was thinking I could try to place the tank as close to my existing 10g as possible to "borrow" light from the Par38 bulb.... what do you guys think of this idea instead of fragging it?

Personally, i would just frag it. I know it sucks to cut such a beautiful coral, but better than losing the whole thing. And I dont think moving it is the answer, even if the tank had good lights. Sorry :(

Back