Unhappy Zoas :(

KarenJax

Certified Master Stylist
I don't think my zoas are happy. They are on a big piece of coral and I think it's too big to get it set to where they are comfy. If you set it upright the top ones are too close to the light and stay closed. If you prop it down, that puts those at the bottom in the flow of the filter and THEY stay closed. I can't seem to find a happy medium! So I was thinking. What if I broke the coral they are on into smaller bits? Then I could put them in places where they would be more comfy. I'm not talking fragging. Heck no. Wouldn't know where to begin. But each colony has it's own space on that chunk and I could break it between colonies? Just an idea for happier zoas. This is the only pic I have at the moment.
7c3eabe5.jpg

The zoas should be fine in that position. They are not picky about light and do just fine if they are sideways, on the ground, or up top. If I remember correctly, you've been having a minicycle lately, so I'd guess it's the water quality keeping them closed, not their position. They should open up once the water gets better, but it could take them a week or two. Whenever I've gotten new zoas, some of the polyps seem to take a really long time to open up compared to other ones on the same rock.

What kind of lighting do you have over your tank?

Good idea. You could definitely do that. Use coral cutters or wire cutters or tin snips etc. and cut those babies apart. However there may be something else causing the problem.

I really need to upgrade my lighting for sure. I have 2 20 watt fluorescents right now. I blew one and replaced them both with the only 5-6 inch ones stupid petco had.
Yep going through a bit of a cycle. Tested this morning and ammonia is back to 0 but nitrites/nitrates are a tad high.

Good idea. You could definitely do that. Use coral cutters or wire cutters or tin snips etc. and cut those babies apart. However there may be something else causing the problem.
Thanks :) I bought them like that! That whole big ol' piece. When I was acclimating, I had to use a scrubbed and sterilized 3 gallon feed bucket. I'll talk to hubby about it when he gets home. He'd have to be the one doing it. I think, I'm not sure, there's palys on there too

Karen have you tested your phosphate level? If it's really high even easy corals like zoas will become unhappy and not open.
The test strips I have are the 4 (nitrite nitrate ph alkalinity) then I have strips for ammonia.
So I'm guessing no?

Like Biff mentioned, it may just be your levels and not the light. That light isn't strong enough to hurt them, but the nitrite and nitrate levels are.

What about creating a base of rock on bottom of your tank so you can place your zoa colonies in a horizontal position on top of it?
I can do that too. I have alot of small clean rocks that came from the jetties. Or I could even switch places with my LR. I'm spatially challenged it being a 10

I started with tap water, too. (stupid)
My phosphates were super high. I killed some pretty awesome stuff before I found this site.

Here are tonights readings: ( test strips for now)

Ammonia-0
Nitrate-20
Nitrite- 2.0
Alkalinity- 180
PH- 8.2

I'll get a drop test kit tomorrow. Oh and my husband informed me- " leave the @&$!' Zoas ALONE. They don't get moved around in the ocean unless a hurricane comes through! Right now you're #%^*+•€> Hurricane Karen!! Leave the poor things alone". I guess that just because he lived in the Keys for years and was a lobster and crab fisherman and a bridge diver he knows everything!!!! HMMMPH!!!!!! :::: stomping off with my nose in the air:::::grumble:

Back