Union or valves on drains???

Unions (everywhere) for easy plumbing maintenance or removal. Valves for adjusting flow. If your pump is a little underpowered for the amount of water you are draining, you need a way to slow down the drain. A valve AFTER the pump will let you slow down the flow of an oversized pump if you are not draining enough to keep up.

The Herbie Method and BeanAnimal Failsafe Overflow Systems are also examples of where you need to have valves to control flow.

If you will ever have to replace it or shut off flow to it (or even if you THINK you'll need to) do your self a favor and put in the union with the ball valve.

Replacing an external system pump without unions is no fun, ask me how i know

If you will ever have to replace it or shut off flow to it (or even if you THINK you'll need to) do your self a favor and put in the union with the ball valve.

Replacing an external system pump without unions is no fun, ask me how i know

Yeah, you definitely have to give some thought to servicing a protein skimmer, calcium reactor, or sump in case of a failure or just general maintenance. Gate valves seem to be more reliable if you exercise them and service them.

So all I need is unions for my drains with no valves?
Also will I need gate valves for my reactors or can I just use a ball valve with a union?

Also will I need gate valves for my reactors or can I just use a ball valve with a union?

If you can not remove something without the sump or the tank draining all over your floor, then you will need some way to shut off the water to that piece of equipment to service it.

No, actually you wan't both. Otherwise when you go to unscrew that union, all your water will drain on to your floor. Messy messy.

Back