Unknow fish disease

fishytwo

Reefing newb
[FONT=&quot]My issues began a year and half ago. I had 10 fish living in my 125gal tank. In the span of two weeks all but 2 of them died. The only real symptom the fish showed was heavy breathing. With 24 hours of the onset of the symptoms the fish was dead. Initially I thought I had a disease that ran its course so I waited 3 months and slowly added a few fish. All was well for approximately 2 months then all but the same two fish died (2 angels-flame and flameback). I did some more research and I concluded that temperature fluxuations were causing the deaths so I went and invested in a chiller. After another 3 months I slowly added more fish and AGAIN all was going well until last week. Yep you guessed it…..all but the same two fish are dead. I have done all the research I can and I cannot figure this out. I am convinced that this is some sort of biological issue; either virus or bacteria. However I do not know how to proceed. I am concerned that whatever is killing the fish is now part of the tank. I do not know if removing the 2 survivors and allowing the tank to sit fallow for a few months will eliminate the problem or if whatever is in the tank will simply go dormant until a suitable host is reintroduced. If I pull the two Angels and treat them could that solve the problem? Throughout this whole ordeal the 2 angels, the inverts (shrimp, crabs, anemones) and coral have all done well. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I am really frustrated and looking for ANY advice.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tank Stats:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]120 gallon [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]~100lbs live rock[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]30 gallon sump[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Reef devil skimmer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lighting: 2 X 250watt 3 X 96watt [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Calcium Reactor[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Reactor with Vertex Biopellets[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Nitrates~10ppm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Nitrate: 0[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Amm:0[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Calcium: 440ppm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]dKH: 11[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Inhabitants:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 flameback angel[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 flame angel[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cleaner shrimp[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Many snails and hermits[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Montipora[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Finger leather[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Blasto[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Duncans[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Birdnest[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Many zoas[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Acans[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Hello and Welcome!

Im sorry to hear about your troubles but it sounds like you have oodium (sp?). The two survivors seem have immunity to the parasite and i bet they acting like a reservior for the disease. I would remove them and treat them in copper for several months and let the tank still fallow for that same period of time.

I thought it was oodium but doesn't that typical show white particles on the fish? The fish I have had don't have any external parasites or damage. The only symptom they exhibit is heavy breathing and listlessness. Could oodium present in this manner?

Back