unknown algae

djpj001

Reefing newb
I have included a couple of pics. I need help identifying this thing in my pics. Don't know if it's good or bad. And if it is bad how do i get rid of it.

The first one is a picture taken from the main tank, it's a black furry thing, which is only isolated in the area where the picture was taken. I haven't seen it spread anywhere else.

blackfurryalgae.JPG

The second picture was taken from my refuge/sump it's all over the place. It's basically dominating my chateo.

refugepics2003.jpg

Any help will be appreciated

DJPJ

I'm no expert on algae, but it looks like red slime algae. If thats what it is its bad and should be removed. Then again I could be wrong on the ID. Good luck.

Its hard to tell by the pics but I can see that air bubbles are trapped in them.Like Bobby said looks like red slime algae(cyno).Check nitrate and phosphate levels.I would increase water changes and get some kind of phosphate remover.

Best of Luck

Im going to agree with Bobby and Reef.It looks like cyno.
As stated by Reef ,check your nitrate and phosphate.When you do your water changes ,use some air line tubing and suck what of it you can out.If your using flakes or pellets to feed with,switch over to frozen foods.
Flakes and pellets are loaded with ash which is phosphates.I stopped using them and my cyno went away alomst over night.

Ph must be kept up to 8.2 - 8.3. test parameters and see where they are off. correct that and clean sump best you can. use clean up crew for main tank.

Back