Unknown bug

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Caught a glimpse of an unknown critter in my tank today and am looking for ideas on what it might be. I checked out the common pests/hitchikers thread and am not sure if it is any of those. It moved really fast, had legs and antaennas, light grey in color, and a maybe 2 centimeters in length. It was not a bristleworm or other type of worm critter. I am actually concerned it may be a baby mantis (it moved a bit like a mantis moves), but am wondering if there is anything else that it might be? It darted across a rock and disappeared before I could really get a good look at it. I saw a clearer version that moved in a similar manner about a week and a half ago in the same area - that one was much smaller - not sure if its the same one that has grown or if I have multiples in my tank. Ideas?

Thanks!!

Also, if it is a baby mantis, is there any fish that will eat them? I read that the sunrise dottyback might eat them but I don't know if this is really the case (just like people say the CBB will eat aiptasia but many don't and starve to death instead). I've had a sunrise dotty on my stocking list but wanted to wait until I had finished adding my peaceful fish before adding a dotty. However, if I have a baby mantis, and the sunrise will eat it, then maybe I should add one sooner rather than later....

Are you hearing any snapping, or popping noises at night? That would be a clear indication of a Mantis or Pistol shrimp. You can also try putting a piece of sqiid or shrimp on a stick, dangle it in front of where you have seen this thing and see if he will come out to get it.

sounds like an amphipod, they can get quite big

That was my other thought based on the pics in the pest/hitchhiker thread, or that it could be an isopod - if it is an amphipod or isopod, can I just leave it and forget about it, or will it multiply and become a pest over time? If I need to get rid of it, any ideas how?

Are you hearing any snapping, or popping noises at night? That would be a clear indication of a Mantis or Pistol shrimp. You can also try putting a piece of sqiid or shrimp on a stick, dangle it in front of where you have seen this thing and see if he will come out to get it.

I wondered if I might be able to hear the snapping/popping but wasn't sure if I would in a baby. My tank is at work, so I'm not here at night to listen. But I do have some frozen krill at home, so I'll bring some of that in and put it on a skewer to see if I can lure it out next time I feed. I'll also turn off all of my pumps, etc., to see if I can hear anything when I try feeding it.

Thanks!

Back