Unknown crab?

120galtank

Reefing newb
Ok, the crab is all white, with no specific markings other than blue eye-stalks. I bought 5 hermit crabs from the local pet store and one of them looked like this. Then I found another one hiding in one of my live rocks, seemingly shell-less. What the heck is it and is it supposed to be out of its shell?

I'm not sure if this worked or not

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 368
I bought one just like it from the store as a hermit crab, too. But this one is out of the shell but only the size of like a fingernail, the picture was zoomed a lot. I haven't seen it again but when I tried to grab it it went back in the rock and hasn't come back out.

Try putting a few various sized empty shells around his hole...he may just stay hidden because he doesn't have a shell to protect him. I've seen hermits out their shell, and they look like aliens. Once he has a shell, he'll probably come out into the open.

Try putting a few various sized empty shells around his hole...he may just stay hidden because he doesn't have a shell to protect him. I've seen hermits out their shell, and they look like aliens. Once he has a shell, he'll probably come out into the open.
So you think it is a hermit?

It's kinda hard to tell from the pic, but I would think the lfs and/or you would have noticed it was something else when you purchased them all together. Let's hope it's a hermit crab without it's shell. :)

Back