unknown hitchhickers

bobby

I like to do bad things.
i was woundering if anybody could tell what these things are growing on the rock that came with my open brain coral they look like feather dusters but all there tenacles are attached they live in cracks and tubes that run along the bottom of the rock and if you get to close they dart back in the tube like a feather duster if it is a feather duster ive never seen one like them there is about 6 and there all white with black tips there very neat looking just wanting to know what they are:helm2:

Without pic cant be sure but based on description given may be:

Spirobis Spp. - Spiral tube feather dusters (spirobids) about 1/4 inch, range tropical seas, lighting immaterial, Feed on particulate organic material and phytoplankton. Survive on dissolved nutrients in many tanks, harmless, copper band butterfly eats um. crowns are normally red or blaze orange. not sure on the black so may be something else. if it is what i think no special care needed just enjoy.

i do enjoy them very much how ever there isnt any other color except white with black tips the biggest one is about 1 1/4 inch long the rest very tiny and the tubes even smaller about 1/16 or less if i can get my camera to work ill take some pics because i also have another hitchiker and want to know what it i just cant explain it well it looks like a freshwater clam or oyster it came on a piece of rock and moves all around the aquarium from on top of the rock to the sand and often back on top of the rock evry neat i just love find ing new things and trying to find out what they are it makes me want to keep buying more live rock to see what else will pop up

yep its a type of feather duster and if you can keep it alive throughout its juve stage its gets extremely large and beautiful good luck keep me posted. Ill get some more research on it for you.

I used to have a 20g tank and it had these little white bugs. A little smaller than a grain of rice. Does anyone have a clue as to what that might have been. There was some live rock, anemone, skunk clown.

Back