unkown life form

rdang

Reefing newb
It is approximately 2 to 3 millimeters in diameter. The main body part is a white ball that is 1 millimeter in diameter. Extending from the body are "legs". They could be segmented, not sure, but they do have white bands. They look like they are sweeping the water, but they could just be moving with the current. The especially like the shells of my red leg hermits.

Sorry no pics, to small for my 1.3 mp camera.

Im assuming they came off the sargassum weed, but they could have come off egg slime.

any guesses, anyone?

i dont think so. some of them have 12 or more "legs". sometimes i think they are walking. If they are walking they are going VERY slow. They also attach themselves to the glass, and algae. They look strange, i hope they are not bad.

okay i just measured one on the glass, its 2 millimeters. The "legs" are definately moving in the current.

Here is a pic of some sargassum. See those little white hair things all over it? I think those are what i have. From the research ive done, i think they are called macro ephites? still researching....

3793037071_bf803b9925.jpg

I cant believe i just found a pic of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:bounce:
They are called hydroids, they are related to jellyfish.

3793086909_8870e4c982_o.jpg

I guess they can sting :shock: but nudibranchs can eat them.

Last edited:
The hydroid jellies that you have that live on the glass don't live long in our tanks. They should disappear pretty quickly on their own.

rdang your going to get a hold of something that you shouldn't if your not careful about putting all that stuff in your tank! :lol:

these hydroids are multiplying like wet gizmos at midnight! :shock: :death: :pooh::pooh::pooh::pooh::pooh:

Back