Up and Coming 75gal Reef

Dang, how big of a skimmer do I need? As long as the footprint is less than 12inch on one side it'll fit. I can always take away from the refugium. I'm only gonna have rubble and macro down there so it doesn't need to be that big. Thanks for the thought though.

the octopus 110 will work good but if you end up with alot of fish later on i would go with the 150 model. Didn't see you at fragswap was you there

no, i stayed up too late last night. watching it cycle. then i kinda slept through my alarm. stupid huh? I was thinking about doing the 110 recirculating

I am looking at doing the 110 recirc needle wheel on my 75 gallon once I move my Octopus 300 to the 210. The 110 is rated for a 90 gallon so if you plan on having a decent fiah load I would definitly go with the 150 recirc needle wheel. They are great skimmers though. Here is what my 300 pulls.

Saltwater1220140.jpg

Saltwater1220138.jpg

Just a side note on your remote DSB. I would reccomend not using various types of substrate for that. I would only use sugar fine sand. Reason being the larger the grain size the more penetration of oxygenated water, thus increasing your need for more depth. the sugar fine sand (.2-1.5mm) will be much better for denitrification. Just make sure that you are adding sand periodically. The sand will dissolve at a fast rate. so a 6in DSB can go to 3 inches over a 18-24 month period.

damn kevin, that is so wonderfully nasty. Have to expect that with that huge skimmer on a 75 though. Yea... the 150 would defiantly work for me. thanks for the help alexander. I was planning on doing a 10inch with ranging sizes to allow a greater variety of fauna to thrive, but nobody really could give me any specific advice about the dsb so i decided not to experiment with it this time. maybe in a few years.

Hey guys, I need some help before I do something stupid. Is it possible for a tank to cycle in less than a week. My rock has been in a garbage can with 2000gph flow for 3 weeks before I added it to the tank. I set up the live rock on friday with 30lbs of sand (dry). Threw in 2 cubes of brine/mysis shrimp to start the cycle. Also used 10 gal of water from my established tank along with the used filter media to get the bacteria in there. Tested it every night so I would know what was goin on. It was up to .25 ammonia by day 2. Ammonia was almost 0, with nitrites at .2 on day 4. Just last night I tested 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 25 nitrates. Would it be safe to transfer my 2 chromis tonight so i dont starve the bacteria? Parameter wise I know its safe, but would it be able to keep up the new tank swings if I tested every day/ every other day?

put chromis in and give it a week and test water again, remember patience or you will end up with hair algae from hell if you get to many nutrients and fish food and poop in there to quick.

Thanks, sounds like a plan. Yea... I wouldn't want to be in the same boat your in. Although, I could use some algae for my clean up crew. Have those snails you got put any dent in that algae yet?

oh yeah, i took out half my live rock that was seriously plagued with bubble algae so i can dry it out scrub it down and replace into tank and start over again. It was my fault from working many hours and not checking water when skimmer started over skimming and salinity dropped low.

Hey guys, so I finally got my light. I got the 48 inch Nova Extreme Pro. Damn those suckers are bright, and that's with only half the bulbs. The other half broke and Marine Depot is sending out some more.
Other than that, I have everything from the old tank transferred over. Had to move them over pretty quick though. Stirred up too much detrius trying to catch the little buggers, which caused it to crash. Not really crash, but it was showing small nitrites, and 60 nitrates. A little too much for my shrimp and snails to handle. Anyway, everything is doing great now. The new lights only been up for a day and I'm already getting significant pink coralline growth. I can't wait till the new bulbs get here. It's gonna be SWEEEET!!!
Has anyone seen a green chromis flare up like this? I was finally able to get a picture of it.
IMG_0659.jpg

Pic of my new baby!!
IMG_0643.jpg

damn randy you did an excellent job on that tank, come along way from your first setup looks awesome guess i gotta hurry up and start cutting you some frags now. i'm gonna get you some green star polyps, pink star polyps and i have a xtra toadstool and some kenya trees plus colts coral and i frag a piece of cabbage leather if you like. soon as my 75 gallon gets back on track i will have some zoos to frag but right now its hair algae nightmare.

No rush, I would still like to give my tank more time to stabilize a bit. I don't think I'm gonna be doing a sump or a new skimmer for a little while. That is unless I can get a new job. I just spent the rest of my tank fund on the chiropractor. My back went out on my all of a sudden and started pinching my spinal cord. It's had me totally bummed out. That light did cheer me up though.

Back