Updated pics/ new build pics.

Discussion in 'Tank Showcase Comments' started by RYknow, Aug 12, 2008.

1. RYknow

reeffreak

Dustin is right,that isn't going to be enough to sustain any corals.The 4 bulb/Nova Extreme would be a good fixture for LPS and soft corals.

There are corals that can handle clowns hosting them and some that will die,if hosted.I have to put torches on the ''do not host'' list.

reeffreak, Aug 14, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. RYknow

RYknow

Bummer! I kinda had a feeling. :frustrat:

So, with the Nova Extreme Pro, growing corals would be possible? Maybe we'll just have to get the Pro...and...hmmm...."accidently" have an extension cord run from the bedroom to the 90 gallon.

Then I could just say..."OHHH...how did that get there?! Well...since it's there we might just as well use it!!" :mrgreen: haha.

-RYknow

RYknow, Aug 14, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. RYknow

dustin_P74

its not just about growing corals, its about keeping them alive

dustin_P74, Aug 14, 2008
  4. RYknow

Bifferwine I am a girl

You could keep any corals you wanted under the Novas.

And they are right about the clown and corals. Clowns will inadvertently kill most things they try to host. Having a clown in them irritates corals and will cause them to close up, sometimes leading to death. My female clown has killed several corals this way.

Bifferwine, Aug 14, 2008
  5. RYknow

RYknow

Does this include anemone's? Just curious. Seems everywhere I go, you see clowns that are hosting anemone's and such. I guess I was under the impression they were "good" for each other.

I'm still learning...so bare with me with terminology, and lack of knowledge. :frustrat: :mrgreen:

-RYknow

RYknow, Aug 14, 2008
  6. RYknow

reeffreak

I've had clowns host brain corals,rhoctactis mushrooms with no problems.There are corals that can serve as a host for clowns without being damaged.Anemones are the ideal host but they are super sensitive to water quality,better to wait until the system has matured a year before you try.In my many years,I've never been able too keep anemones longterm,they are just to difficult and pose big problems sometimes when they die.I do like to add that clowns do not need a host coral,anemone to survive and thrive.

BTW,the Nova Pros will allow you be unlimited-all corals,anemones and clams.Some will need careful placement.

reeffreak, Aug 14, 2008
  7. RYknow

Bifferwine I am a girl

Anemones are not corals. So no, it does not apply to anemones. But it still depends on the species of clown and anemone.

Bifferwine, Aug 14, 2008
  8. RYknow

RYknow

Speaking of water quality. My nitrates are low, and well within the safe mark for a FOWLR. How can I get my tank down to 0 nitrates though? I do regular water changes, but I can't seem to get them to just zero out.

I plan on keeping the Emperor 400, along with the Bermuda Rouge skimmer (I just can't afford a sump right now.). I've read that Bio-wheels can be a source of nitrates. Should I run the Emperor without the Bio-wheels?

-RYknow

RYknow, Aug 15, 2008
  9. RYknow

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

Its not easy to run zero nitrates.But it can be done.
    The key is filtration,maintance,and bio-load.The more and bigger fish you have,the more you have to feed.That creates more waste,which helps push nitrates up.
    Of course the bio-wheels and filter cartridges help keep nitrates up to.

yote, Aug 15, 2008
  10. RYknow

Bifferwine I am a girl

Yote is right. Try it without the biowheels.

But my question is: why? Unless you have a dedicated SPS tank, why the effort to get 0 nitrates?

Bifferwine, Aug 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question