Upgrade AGAIn lol

Ashna

Reefing newb
so my hubby suggested that i convert my 155 gallon fresh water to a salt water. and as im sure many of you would have jumped on the idea as i am especially only have a 50 gallon. ive been researching lightin and filtration. ive already got my lights picked out and there WAYYy more then im able to spend so i want to try and not spend as much on a filter. does anyone know and DIY filter systems that does include drilling through the glass. also i need as much details as possible, what i need pictures, and specific step by step instructions as bcuz me + building= large mess (thank god for my aunt she will be helping me) also for live rockk, i wanted to put about 10 pounds of live rock and about 200lbs of base rock, is that bad? or is that ok. i was planning on allowing it to cycle for about 6 weeks to seed the rock anyways.

An excellent DIY filter are algae scrubbers.

Here are the links on how to build them and more general info:
https://www.livingreefs.com/mega-powerful-nitrate-and-phosphate-remover-diy-t16734.html
https://www.livingreefs.com/build-algae-scrubber-t32422.html

They are going to require you get an overflow down the sump, but you can buy one like this:
CPR CS Overflow Boxes

You can run the skimmer of the drain from the overflow, but you will need a pump to move water from the sump to the DT. Here is a good pump:
Danner Supreme Mag-Drive Utility Pumps at PETCO

Be sure you properly size the overflow and return pump!

And 10lbs of rock is just fine to start your tank with. Cycling might take a bit longer, you are right, its muuuuch cheaper.

Then i suggest looking at the hang on the back protein skimmers. No sump plumbing required!

The best ones for the money are reef octopus skimmers, but i have been hearing great things about the hydroa bubbler (?) which is rumored to be cheaper and work just as great.

lol i have a skimmer already :)
although i just showed my aunt the first link for the algae scrubber,,,would this be like my filter? thought you needed a carbon filter

nope, marine tanks really dont need any sort of mechanical filter. Your live rock is your primary source of filtration.

The problem with those mechanical filters is that they dont remove the stuff they collect from the water, they just leave it in there to rot, and then the small compounds are release back into the water column to lessen your water quality. You can prevent this by cleaning them and replacing the media every 3 or 4 days, but that is time consuming and expensive.

The algae scrubber is just addition filtration. The algae will take up nitrates from the water column, which is toxic to inverts even at low levels. You are basically giving the algae a place you want them to grow, instead of in your display tank.

Also, is your skimmer rated for the size tank you will have? The should be rated for twice your water volume.

The best ones for the money are reef octopus skimmers.

Oh my god those things are awesome!!! I don't know about the HOB ones but I've been running the extreme xs-200 on my 110 for about 4 days now. There's almost half an inch of gunk in there!!!!! :shock::mrgreen::shock::mrgreen::shock::mrgreen:

Back