upgrade from 10g sump to 30

old 5k0ol

Scurrilous
I recently scrapped my 10g sump/fuge to make a 30g sump/fuge. If I transferred my sand bed over. Could that be the reason my fish and corals are stressed? and if yes, will it take care of itself through filtration?

How deep was the sand bed in your sump? And did you clean it out at all?

If you had a deep sand bed in there and didn't clean it there's a chance you released noxious poisons into your tank when you transferred it over.

it was almost four inches and I just scooped it and transferred it. what do you recommend in a sump? My new setup has, from left to right; chaeto section with lots of flow, then return section, then refugium with 4 inch sand bed small ball of chaeto and a piece of live rock.(soon to be more rock)

trapped organic particles, nitrates, phosphates, sulfer derivates (reaaaally bad) and other stuff released from the rotting particles being transformed into smaller components.

I would just do rubble and cheato, that is plenty for refugium. Also 4 inches isnt deep enough to create a DSB, you need 6 inches. 4 inches only collect crap without having an oxygen free zone where the nitrates can be transformed into nitrogen gas, which is what DSB is suppose to do. Personally, i think all those deeper sand beds are ticking time bomb because if disturbed you can easily crash your whole tank.

If your just getting started with a new tank, you gotta stay on top of it. Every week bout 2-3 times a week depending on your tests, I did mine 2-3 times a week taking out 15-20%. Now im doing mine 2-3 times a month Worked alright for me, I'm sure someone else will chime in on other methods best of luck.

i bought my HOB refugium off a guy and there is a couple inches of miracle mud on the bottom. It looks like theres about an 7/8 inch layer of fish poop on top of the mud. Should i syphon that out, or it all?? problem is there's pods all over

if you do i would just keep your siphon from touching the bed just go near it and whatever is light enough should come up. There's bound to be some food for clean up crew in there though so don't be picky.

Back