Upgrade Help: Oceanic 90 or 120 Tech Tank or Illuminata?

OmegaOmega

Reefing newb
Company bonus is in the bank and it's over a year since I've started my BioCube tank... looking to upgrade but now having a hard time deciding between all the options.

I've done a search on the forums but don't see a lot of information on the Oceanics and was hoping someone could help?

I'm trying to decide between a 70, 90 or 120g Oceanic Tech Tank of a 60g Illuminata rimless. Both are reef ready and include sump system, stand, etc.

I'm also torn on what lighting to go either any of the selections...

The question is: which would you go with and why? I saw the 120 in the store and it was intimidating. Not to go Freudian on you all, but I thought one would almost need to develop a penis complex in order to own it - it was taller than me.

I like the idea and design of the Illuminata but I'm worried about fish jumping out.

Thoughts? What else would you get? How would you setup filtration? Recommendation on specific pumps? Heaters? Lighting?

I can't seem to edit my post - so I'll just reply in line.

My other question: has anyone had issues with fish jumping from their tanks, especially rimless tanks? The LFS said that it was a big issue and I should shy away from the illuminata tanks but I wasn't sure if it was fish-specific or just a general issue overall?

yes. If you get rimless tanks, you'll be quite limited what fish you can put in there. some fish are more prone to jumping than others.

I don't know anything about those tanks-- sorry!

I'm from Eugene too! I just saw your bio-line - I cracked up with your quote. I'm actually going to be in Eugene this weekend! Too funny; I didn't think we had enough brilliant chemists in the greater Eug/springfield area...

When I was looking at oceanic tanks I was told to stay away. The lfs said that since oceanic changed the silicone that they used there have been some reports of tanks leaking. They even had one of theirs start leakig. I liked the black silicone trim that the oceanic had though. Instead my lfs custom ordered a marine land reef tank with a dark dark gray silicone. This could all be hog wash but it is what we were told. Plus the marine land tank (90 gallon ) was cheaper it was only 250 and it was reef ready. Just something for you to think about.

I'm from Eugene too! I just saw your bio-line - I cracked up with your quote. I'm actually going to be in Eugene this weekend! Too funny; I didn't think we had enough brilliant chemists in the greater Eug/springfield area...

lol how funny is that. were you into saltwater when you lived in eugene?

There's a number of chemists who attend university, but we disguise ourselves well. :D

When I orginally decided to up-grade I looked at a 90. I was pretty well content with it. Then I looked at the 120. It's 30% for water, and 6 inches deeper (the 90 is the same height, and length). It has 2 overflows as opposed to one. For me I was already there, an extra couple hundy and I am 30% bigger, I had no choice. As far as your penis complex, the systems should be the same height and width so not to worry there. Besides, my penis doesn't fall in the tank water unless I'm on my step stool cleaning.

Honestly,the choice is really up to you.How big do you want to go?All of those Oceanic tanks you listed would be great.Rimless is the new hawtness so it's another option.You live in Cali so maybe give one of the custom builders a call-AGE and ELOS are located out there.

Recommending lighting when you haven't decided on a fish tank yet would be foolish.Depth of the tank and how much you are willing to spend will play a big part.

yes. If you get rimless tanks, you'll be quite limited what fish you can put in there. some fish are more prone to jumping than others.

I wasn't, I wish I was - I just started when I moved here because I actually had the money to get into this hobby - who knew it'd be so expensive. I'm actually driving up to Eugene tomorrow! I'm going through hippy-withdrawals so I have to get my yearly shock - right?

When I orginally decided to up-grade I looked at a 90. I was pretty well content with it. Then I looked at the 120. It's 30% for water, and 6 inches deeper (the 90 is the same height, and length). It has 2 overflows as opposed to one. For me I was already there, an extra couple hundy and I am 30% bigger, I had no choice. As far as your penis complex, the systems should be the same height and width so not to worry there. Besides, my penis doesn't fall in the tank water unless I'm on my step stool cleaning.

Thanks for the reply - so it sounds like maybe the 120 is the way to go if the size isn't going to be that different overall - it just seems like a lot of water to think about - especially with a 50g sump... That means larger water changes, more LR, etc. Is there a big pay off to 30 gallons more that you feel you've gotten?

Also what about stands? There are varying levels (simple pine to pre-fab, etc.) I realize a lot will have to do with personal taste, but is there a specific wood or item I should definitely stay away from?

Also - if this is going to be setup on a carpeted room, does anyone do anything under the stand (like a piece of plywood or something) to help level it out or distribute the weight overall or would this work against me?

The illuminata does have a glass top that can go on it but I don't know if that will further effect light penetration or if I should even be worried about that...

lol... hippie withdrawl..... lol

well, while you're here you should check out aquaserene on west 11th (near Lowe's).... they're not as good of an LFS as liquid sunshine was, but LS closed about a month ago. Aquaserene is really good with their fish stock, but only moderately ok with their corals.

About the glass top, there's some debate about that. The short answer is, the amount of light penetration depends on what kind of lights you have, regardless of if you have a glass top or not. IMO, its better to spend a little more on nicer lights, and get the glass top-- saves money on losing jumpers, and also reduces evaporation and really knocks down drain noise.

Also what about stands? There are varying levels (simple pine to pre-fab, etc.) I realize a lot will have to do with personal taste, but is there a specific wood or item I should definitely stay away from?

Also - if this is going to be setup on a carpeted room, does anyone do anything under the stand (like a piece of plywood or something) to help level it out or distribute the weight overall or would this work against me?

I'd stay away from the particle board junk and go only with stands made from actual real solid wood. If you have a crawlspace and your going to be setting up your tank running with the joists you may consider a piece of 3/4" plywood but even in that situation the joists should be more than adequate to handle the weight. I did build my stand with a full 3/4" bottom though just to be on the safe side.

I'd stay away from the particle board junk and go only with stands made from actual real solid wood. If you have a crawlspace and your going to be setting up your tank running with the joists you may consider a piece of 3/4" plywood but even in that situation the joists should be more than adequate to handle the weight. I did build my stand with a full 3/4" bottom though just to be on the safe side.

I'm just slightly worried that if i had a 3/4" plywood base laying on the ground and did the stand/tank on top that it would cause a 'floating' effect, or if that's better than just setting the tank directly up on the carpet itself?

I'm also worried about earthquakes and being in a tank that big too...

I just got a stand that didn't have legs-- you know, is solid all along the bottom. No need for anything else under the tank stand, it sits directly on the carpet.

If you're gonna upgrade, have your LFS quote you for a custom tank in the 5' or 6' range. This will allow more swimming room for tangs, larger wrasses, or bigger angels. My next tank is probably going to be 5'x2'x2'. Plus I don't know how tall you are but the higher you go the bigger the pain in the ass working in the tank can become. Having a custom rectangular tank built ins't that much more. I would also look into starphire glass.

Back