upgrade my tank!!

vallesom

Reefing newb
Hello everibody!, my husband bought me a 125 gal tank, i currently have a 45 gal octagon, very cool, but now i want to move everything from the 45 to the 125, i know it will be a project, but i just would like to ask , where do i start, i am placing the new tank where the old one was, the old one just has a couple of hermits, snails and an anemonie and some mushrooms. The tank came with some live sand and a wet dry, i don't have any experience with the wet dry , I REALLY NEED HELP, WHAT DO I DO!!!, I ALSO NEED SOME MORE LIVE ROCK!!!, (THE 45 GAL TANK I HAVE IS BEEN RUNING FOR ALMOST TWO YEARS SO I KNOW I WILL USE SOME OF THE WATER IN IT , OHHHH HEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!:frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat:

Get it in position and start to fill it. Get your sand ready and as much live rock as you can get right now, youcan add later. Get a power head in there moving the water around and any heaters you have to get to temp. of about 76 for now. The rock, snad and water need to cycle for a few weeks so thats what you need to start with. Once you get going you need to add a protien skimmer and sump system, but you won't need those until you add fish. So for now get a game plan of water, then rock, then add sand. YOu want the rock to be on the tank bottom, not the glass for when critters dig under the rock it will settle and you don't want to stack the rock in any way it could tumble down and crack the glass. Welcome to the group!

What equipment do you plan on using for it -- pumps, skimmers, etc? I'd skip the wet/dry too, but that's just my preference. Depending on the size of your wet/dry, you can just put your skimmer and return and stuff in there. Does your 125 have built in overflows? or just an overflow box?

I guess the first step is filling it up :) Hopefully you are using ro/di or distilled water. If you move all your sand and lf into the tank, you probably won't need to cycle it anyway. My 125 took 2 1/2 days to fill up w/ my ro/di (it's slow). I filled it with pre-rinsed new sand, and am currently cycling it.

Back