Upgrading 29g to 55g Need help!!

monica83

Reefing newb
A friend of mine has a 30g BB reef tank that has been setup for 2yrs. He's moving and cant take it with him. So he said i could have everything in it ( rock,fish,corals) the sump but he wants to keep the tank and stand. I have an empty 55g laying around and would like to use that. He is leaving in a week so I dont have time to cycle the 55g. Is it possible to transfer the 30g of water and all livestock into the 55g and add new water to make up for the rest? That would be approximately 25g of new saltwater. Any suggestions?

Hello and welcome...that is exactly what you could do. Just transfer everything, and then add new water to make up for the 15gal needed.

I agree, but would probably use new substrate instead of the existing. If you don't have the money for a new substrate then I'd go bottomless.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new set up!

Thanks guys that's what i'll do. Im sorry, I just realized I posted this in the wrong area. This is my first post so bare with me.

Welcome ! :)

sounds like a plan, hopefully you can get away without a cycle, if not, just do frequent water changes to keep the ammonia in the tank down.

You can do up to 40% a day if the ammonia is bad. If it's just a bit of ammonia, then you can do less. Maybe you won't see any parameters spike at all -- that would be lucky!

Everything went well. But now I have to many fish and corals. I went and bought a 120g and plan on setting it up next week. So, the fish and corals will be in the 55g until the 120g cycles. I know it is way too small for everything. What can I do to make sure I keep the water parameters good? How often should I do water changes?? Should I run carbon or any other filter media??

Fish:

Sm. Yellow tang
Med. kole tang
Lg. foxface
Lg. peppermint hogfish
Sm. Maroon clown

Corals:

12inch Montipora Plate Coral
3 sm. Montipora Plate Coral
sm. birdnet
small sps (dont know the name)

Lg. galaxia
8 head torch

lg. toadstool leather
2 lg. colt
pulsing xenias
med. rock full of zoa's

12 florida ricordea's
3 rocks w/ blue mushrooms

It will be crowded, but I think it will be okay for the short-term. Congrats on the upgrade!

Keep on top of testing your water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates especially. I'd do 20% water changes once a week or so -- so approximately 10 gallons a week. You can run carbon if you want. If you have a protein skimmer, hook it up.

Back