Upgrading from 45 to 125

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
I'm probably no where near doing a tank upgrade yet, but when I'm ready, I want to know what to expect and what I should have ready.

I currently have my 45 tall tank. I would like to upgrade to a 125. How should I handle this without harming anything? That kind of a huge upgrade is major, isn't it, since I'm adding almost 75% new water? I don't even know if I should do it in 1 day or spread out.

I figure I'll get the tank set up with new sand, base rock, and around 50% water.

Than I'll get as much of the old tank water in a rubbermaid tub as I can, move the lr, inverts, and fish into there with a powerhead to keep water moving so I can take my time...

Then move the old sand & old lr to the 125.

Then I should move my fish to a smaller container, and take the remaining water and put it in the 125. Having the old sand and lr should be sufficient enough to seed the new sand and base rock without causing a major tank cycle, right? And I would have to reacclimate the fish, correct?

Maybe I'm overthinking this. Any tips and advice? For now I just have the 2 clowns and the firefish anyway, and if I add anymore, they won't be too large anyway. I just want to be ready with everything before doing this.

The best way would be to setup the 125 and let it cycle then add your stuff slowly after ur done sell the old setup. Anytime you setup a new tank with additional live sand and other stuff you wiil;l most likely have an amonia spike.

after ur done sell the old setup.

I might actually keep the 45 and turn it into a sump...dunno yet cuz it's so tall. If I don't like it, I might just trade it in at my lfs for a long tank and use it as the sump.

The problem with letting it cycle first (which I did consider) is that the place I want to put it in is where the 45 is now. Its location is perfect.

when i moveed to my 75 i used everything execpt most of the sand i kept about 10 pounds live and used all new sand. start buying rock now and put it in tubs this will greatly help out in not having a cycle but no matter what you do you could end up having one anyway

Back