upgrading my little tank to a larger tank

nikki

Reefing newb
Hey just after some advice on going from a little tank to a big tank. i have a 3 foot tank with a canister filter, liverock,corals and fish and am in the process of going to a 5 foot tank that has a built in trickle filter. I have put 20 kgs of live rock in the new tank and have had it cylcing for a week today, it is looking ok but am concerned the filter is not enough for the size of tank. I will put the canister filter on when i can put my stock from old tank. I am also a bit dubious about the whole cycling process as the first tank did not cycle until i put stock in there. Any advice would be greatfully appreciated, sometimes i feel like putting everything from the old tank into the new and hope for the best! :question:

trickle filters are a bit outdated

What the norm is now is to use enough liverock to provide adequate biological filtration (1 - 1.5 lbs per gallon) and also the use of a protein skimmer.

I don't know of any standard tank sizes that are 5 feet but i'm assuming your tank is around 100 gallons?

If you can i'd highly recommend getting some more rock in there and then slowly transfering your live stock over. This will help give the bacteria time to grow with the bioload.

Hello and welcome to the site! I agree with Bradley. Look into getting a protein skimmer instead of any other type of filter. And the more live rock you use, the better.

Back