upgrading question

newbeemike

Reefing newb
I currently have a 75 gallon reef tank. My metal Hallides are coming in about a week and a half (2 X 250). I plan on up grading tanks in about about 2 years (what I say to my wife). May be in a year or so (more realistic time). I was thinking about getting something 48 inches so I can us the same lights. But I wanted to hear what people thought of the 120 and 150 48in tanks. I ve heard wider is better. Is it possible to go a foot bigger (60 in) and using the same lights 48 " (That would leave a 6 inch space on both sides). The 48 " halides will be mounted to the ceiling. Can this be done with a 6 foot tank or is this asking for trouble. Let me know what you think. And yes i know , the smart thing to do would be to wait on the halides till I upgrade the tank but like most I CANT WAIT. Thank you all in advance.

I don't see any problem using them on. I'm using 48 T5's on my 60. I haven't had any problem. I put the mushrooms to the side but it's still to much light for them. They like the overhangs. Zoas grow great on the sides. All soft corals would do good on the sides. I have mine in a canopy and you can't even tell the difference of lighting inside the tank.

I have a six foot MH light fixture over my 7 foot tank, with 6 inches on each side. Like Piggy said, I put my zoanthids, softies and shrooms on the sides where there's less light. I don't see a problem with that.

Back