Upgrading tank from 10 gallon to 20 gallon

12ironaman

Reefing newb
Hey,
So I know have room for a 20 gallon tank and want to move it up. I currently just have starfishes right now and think it will be a good time to do a transition. I was wondering the processes how to upgrade the tank while not starting over the bacteria already in the tank.
thanks

Keeping the rock wet will prevent the new tank from cycling. So I would get some 5-gallon buckets from the hardware store, move your rock into them (and some water to keep them wet), then finish draining the old tank. I would use new sand in the new tank -- if you use the old sand, you have to clean it well and that's a hassle. Then move the rock and water into the new tank and top it off the rest of the way with new water. Should be pretty simple with a small tank.

You should never cycle a tank using a damsel or other live fish. There are much better, safer and easier ways to do it -- like just putting a bit of fish food in the tank to rot. :)

It's not really about keeping them -- it's about the conditions the fish are forced to live through during the cycle. It's cruel and often times, the damsels don't survive.

Eeek. I forgot the most important part. So while I still currently just have my brittle star at the time being. If I plan to use the same filter on my new 20 gallon as I am currently using on my 10, how do I cycle the new tank while keeping the brittle star happy?

Ugh. I am reading to much.So by just transfering about 8 gallons of the old water and my current rock into the new tank I "should" be good moving my brittle star right away? Cause I fear there will not be enough bacteria in the new tank by adding new sand and having the new glass.

Back