Upgrading Tank Question

TropicalRespect

Dont Worry
I have a 3 gallon with some corals and a purple dottyback. Im planning on taking all the live sand and live rock and water from the 3 gallon plus extra sand and rock from the LFS and put it all into the new 8 gallon tank. Im going to have to put in the fish and corals into the new tank right away. will they be ok? Will the water, sand, and live rock from the 3 gallon make there be less of a new tank cycle? Thanks

Yes it will be fine with the original live substrates, but you can use your 3 gallon as a holding container for your live rock. Never introduce new live rock directly because even though it is cured, it may have pests (aiptasia, majanos, hydroids, mantis shrimp, non reef safe crabs, nudibranchs, and other destructive pests) that are hard to get rid of in reef systems.

I unless you clean out your sand, i wouldnt use it in the new tank. Moving and old sand bed can cause lots of issues.

Also 3 or 8 gallons is waaaay too small for a dottyback, i would look at a clown goby if you want to have a fish in there

oh ok ill just get all new sand, and the dottyback will be good in the 8 for a while then when it starts to grow i can give him to a friend. He seems to even be happy in the 3 gallon!

Back