Upgrading tank Soon!

JustinsReefTank

Reefing newb
My wife came up to me the other day and said..... "honey I think we need a bigger tank! :whoopee!: I said NICE why do you think this". Her reply was I really want a Naso tang" :sfish:
I said okay Honey you know that means at least a 125 gallon tank. She said okay start finding out which one and how much. :bowdown:

So here are my questions to all of you....

1. What company/brand would you sugest.

2. Is a 125 Big enough for a Naso.

3. Do I have to buy as a kit or can I order just the tank? I wanta build my stand!

And at first she was my biggest hurdle to get all the money together for my current tank and now SHE wants a bigger tank.. Roll reversal!! :mrgreen:

Thanks for any and all advise.
Justin

Last edited:
My lfs has a tank, stand, light and top for $675, I think. Just for a basic idea...either AGA or Oceanic would be my choices.

I personally wouldn't want to put one in anything less then a 8' tank (240-265ish). They get about 18" long when full grown and grow fast, IMO a 6' tank just can't give it the swimming space it'll need when that big.

I would suggest AGA if you're going with a prebuilt one. I just got quoted $1300 for a corner drilled 220g from my LFS. You don't have to get the stand with them but, a lot of companies won't warranty their tanks unless you use their stand with it.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. I don't think I am ready for a tank that size. I will just have get the 125 for now until I buy a house. Well what other tangs would you suggest then would be suitable for a 125

BL was that with the stand or just the tank???

Thanks for your input. I don't think I am ready for a tank that size. I will just have get the 125 for now until I buy a house. Well what other tangs would you suggest then would be suitable for a 125

BL was that with the stand or just the tank???

Most of the Acanthurus family (except the clown and sohal tang)
Any of the Ctenochaetus and yellow and scopas tangs. I'm sure there are plenty others but I just can't think of them.

Nope, that price was just for the tank.

That's a good thought but a reefer on my local forum priced out glass, getting it cut/drilled, and overflow kit and it came out to almost the same price as a pre-made tank. And I'm not sure if you've ever made one but, I'm not going to trust myself to build something to hold 200+ gallons of water when I can pay almost the same price to get a company that makes them everyday.

The cheapest way I've seen to build your own big tank is to build a plywood one. Google it!

I looked into those too, according to some people that have built a few of them they don't really become cheaper until you start building over 500 gallons.

Yeah that's my plan..go big or go home...I'm thinking like a wall tank or something...I don't know yet...I need a house first...hehehe

Back