Upgrading to 40 gallon breeder????

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
Hello,
So we have had our Biocube 14 a few months and have decided to start collecting supplies like filters, circulation pumps, etc for an upgrade to 40 gallon breeder. We purchased it on Petco's $1 a gallon sale. We are keeping soft coral, mushrooms, zoos, and xenia.

We have a Prizm Protein skimmer that we got when we purchased our Biocube from Craigslist. We don't use it because we do about a 30% water change weekly. and it has no place except the front to hang. All of our ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, and salinity have been good. All our corals are doing well.

My friend says she uses a Marineland Penguin 350 with a protein skimmer and 2 circulation pumps. Is that sufficient. I haven't seen her setup so I don't have a first hand account of her success or failure. The Marineland pump specs are 350 gph and 70 gallons. Is it correct that when they say 70 gallons that is 70 gallons of freshwater?

What water changes should I plan? Trying to decide if we should get a RO/DI system or do HOB sump?

Does having a sump decrease water changes?
Thanks for the help.
Angie

Back