Upgrading to 90 where my 60 currently sits.

Washburn82

Reefing newb
Hey all, so here's my issue . hopefully some of you may have had similar experiences and could off some advice. I currently have a 60 gallon cube located in my downstairs rec room between two closests
IMG_20170821_113047_zps3u3lefgf.jpg

IMG_20170807_112021_zpsjwtt5q1h.jpg

I want to utilize the space between the closest more so my plan is to build a wall unit so to speak that fits perfectly in there . Heres where I'm at on the stand so far ..
IMG_20170820_211617_zpszcsez3ju.jpg

Anyways.. me issue I'm concerned with is wanted to put the new stand and tank and lights ,sump equipment etc.. where my existing tank is sitting . My real question is if I use all my water/sand/current live rock (plus about 30 pounds of base rock) will my tank go through a cycle process again ? I want to basically make the switch over in one night , I have to tear one down just to make room for the upgrade. I currently have 6 smaller fish in my tank ,im hoping with my current liverock and sand and water that I won't create a mini cycle . Any thoughts or ideas I would love to hear . Sorry if my thoughts are scattered all over lol but I've been mulling over this for awhile .

i have upgraded 3 or 4 times over the yrs.
started with a forty, currently on a 265

if you are careful about the move and swish everything around before you move it, have your new water ready,
and give your sand a good rinse in the old water before you put it in the new tank, it shouldn't be to bad.
dont change your water filtration sponges, etc for a couple days and that will help the cycle speed up too.
you are basically adding 70-80 gal of new water, plus you have to build up new bacteria on the glass. but you will probably be fine. expect the water to stay cloudy for 3 or 4 days then clear up. your fish should be fine. change the charcoal though just in case you have an ammonia pitch. the cloudyness is caused by the silt/dust from your sand.
thats why you want to try to clean it a bit. you will most likely find you want more sand in the new tank anyways. was it well and mix it in a bit with the old when you put the sand in. its almost impossible not to get a small mini cycle but it shouldn't be too bad. only a couple days

Any move will cause a cycle. The more the rocks are changed, put in the air, etc, the more cycle. But you probably already did it :)

Back