Upgrading to a 55g yay!!!

Twisted_blenny

Reefing newb
So I'm upgrading from my 29g biocube to a 55g! I'm stoked!!! So I got some ?s

I want to do a overflow/sump but I have no idea on how to set that up I'm really confused on how that works?

Do I need to have the overflow/sumP before I start cycling and adding live rock or could I add that later on?

I want to transfer my rock/corals and fish over to the new tank how long should I wait to do that should I rinse off my old live rock to prevent pest going to the new tank because it looks like there are a Zillion tiny clear bugs crawling all over the place in my biocube?

Any input would help tons!!! Thanks guys/gals I'm excited to start a new tank!!!

Have you bought the tank yet? If not, I highly suggest buying a reef ready tank with the overflow already installed. If you do not get a reef ready tank, you can convert a regular tank into one with an overflow and sump, but you would have to buy an overflow box to do so. Either way, having a sump is very beneficial and the best way to go.

You want to have your sump set up before you start the tank up. Having all your equipment in place from the start will make things much easier.

You can move your stuff over right away. Usually when you upgrade tanks from an existing one, you don't get a cycle because your live rock stays wet. You do not want to rinse off your live rock though -- that will kill it. Those bugs sound like pods, which are good guys. They are not pests, and are an important part of a reef tank. They provide free food to fish and corals.

But first step is first -- pick out and buy a tank, drilled already if possible.

Have you bought the tank yet? If not, I highly suggest buying a reef ready tank with the overflow already installed. If you do not get a reef ready tank, you can convert a regular tank into one with an overflow and sump, but you would have to buy an overflow box to do so. Either way, having a sump is very beneficial and the best way to go.

You want to have your sump set up before you start the tank up. Having all your equipment in place from the start will make things much easier.

You can move your stuff over right away. Usually when you upgrade tanks from an existing one, you don't get a cycle because your live rock stays wet. You do not want to rinse off your live rock though -- that will kill it. Those bugs sound like pods, which are good guys. They are not pests, and are an important part of a reef tank. They provide free food to fish and corals.

But first step is first -- pick out and buy a tank, drilled already if possible.

Totally true... if I were to do it again (and i will soon) i would have bought a pre-drilled one and set up an overflow.. But in my case i did it myself with a tank i got for free, It was very cheap to do it, but once you get into buying all the plumbing pieces it will get time consuming.. very awesome though! good luck!

Ya I already have the tank I'm using my old 55g freshwater tank. So I need to buy an overflow? Do I have to drill the tank to have a sump or can I do it another way?

If you buy an overflow box, you can have the sump without drilling the tank. The overflow box uses a siphon to draw water over the side of the tank and down to the sump.

Back