Upgrading

clownster

Reefing newb
I have a friend with a 40 gallon tank and he came upon a great deal on a 125 or so and he asked me whats the best way to move from tank A to tank B. He told me he has no way to set up both tanks, so he will be moved from one to the other and it will be in the some spot.

Can this safely be done? Any advice would be great.

Its not difficult. He will need a lot of buckets for storage of water, rock and live stock. Use all new sand. Try and use as much of the old water as possible. Lay everything out before you take down the old tank. You dont want things in buckets to long. A simple trip to the store for something you are missing can turn into a nightmare. Especially when you drive up and they just closed. :grumble: I am sure he will be adding a bunch of new rock, if it is live make sure it is cured before the move. If it is dry give it a good rinse or even better put it in a rubber made tub with some tank change water for a week or two before the move.(a small piece of live rock would be good as well) Will give it a jump start on bacteria. If you do this make sure you have a power head in there as well, dont really need a heater unless it is freezing where the tub will be.

Save most of the water out of the tank without disturbing it. put it into a plastic container along with the fish and rock. Put a power head and heater in it while you set up the new tank. Also have water made up ahead of time so it can be mixing and warning. Rinse substrate and put it in the tank along with the already made water, make sure you leave room for the old water the fish are in. use base rock to keep a cycle from starting in the new tank (dont want die off from new live rock). Make sure the water temp and all the parameters are good and start adding the old water, rock, and fish (might need to reacclimate the fish since you are adding a large chuck of new water. Thats how it did it with no deaths.

Save most of the water out of the tank without disturbing it. put it into a plastic container along with the fish and rock. Put a power head and heater in it while you set up the new tank. Also have water made up ahead of time so it can be mixing and warning. Rinse substrate and put it in the tank along with the already made water, make sure you leave room for the old water the fish are in. use base rock to keep a cycle from starting in the new tank (dont want die off from new live rock). Make sure the water temp and all the parameters are good and start adding the old water, rock, and fish (might need to reacclimate the fish since you are adding a large chuck of new water. Thats how it did it with no deaths.
Sorry I should have said rinse NEW substrate.

Back