Upside down anenome help

momofcna

Reefing newb
Please tell me that he's just having a snit fit and he's not going to die. He's bottom up sitting on his tentacles. Help me please.

I definiely no anemone expert,I gave up on them many years ago.Put it right side up so it can attach it's foot to something.If it doesn't attach itself can be a sign of bad health/stress leading to possible death.

Can you provide a little bit more info? What are your water parameters? How long have you had the anemone? How long has your tank been setup? Do you have proper lighting to keep anemones?

My first suggestion is what freak said, move the anemone if possible and see if it'll attach itself. If it doesnt, my guess would be that its under stress.

I've had my tank for about 15 months and I bought the anenome about 3 to 4 weeks ago. My salt levels are running right at 1.023, calcium is at 450. Lighting may be light, but my anenome has moved himself under one of my big rocks that has a cave like environment.

It's a seabae

What color is it? (tan,brown,white?)
How deep is your sand bed?
While it was on its 'head' how did its foot look? Did it have a hole in it or was it solid?

Seabaes are known for being hard to keep in aquariums, especially ones that aren't aged. What have you been feeding it, or has it been eating at all? How long have you had it?

Sebaes are one of the most difficult anemones to keep, and need a lot of light. At least 8 watts per gallon. Unless you have strong halides or T5s, you probably don't have enough light for it.

The anemone being upside down and not attaching is a bad sign. Like others have said, try to put it right side up and get it to attach to something. If it won't attach, I'm afraid to say but it's probably long gone. If you suspect lighting is the problem, it may not be too late to give it to someone else with better lights to see if they can possibly revive it.

Thanks for the info. Gonna go buy a new hood to get more light. I really don't want the rest of my tank to get goood, how do you tell when an anenome is going to dye. Mine keeps swelling up like a ballon moves around a bit, then at night closes up. Can't seem to find any info on it's daily habits. Or stress habits.

Halides and T5s don't come in hoods unless you build it yourself. If you have fluorescent lighting, that is not enough for the anemone. Even if you add more fluorescent lights, it won't be enough. You need halides or T5s.

You can tell it's going to die if it won't attach to rocks or substrate. It will start to get gooey or slimey or fall apart and disintegrate. If you smell it, it will STINK!!

Back